We will continue to update this post over the next few days as the storm approaches.
MAYOR JACOBS HAS ISSUED
AN ORANGE COUNTY CURFEW
STARTING 7 P.M. SUNDAY, SEPT 10
Check out the Current Weather in Orlando Visit the National Weather Service for the most up-to-date information.
NEED GAS? CLICK HERE TO USE GASBUDDY.COM’S INTERACTIVE MAP. Suspect someone of price gauging? Report them to Pam Bondi’s new price-gouging hotline at (866)-9-NO-SCAM.
Governor Scott is working with Google’s Emergency Response team to mark closed roads in real-time on Google Maps during the storm.
UPDATE: Call *347 if you break down on a Florida roadway and need assistance.
UPDATE: Worried about flooding? Click HERE to see an interactive map of Orlando’s flood zones via the Orlando Sentinel.
UPDATE: Mandatory evacuations issued for residents who live in mobile homes in Orange County.
All tolls across the state of Florida have been suspended.
The City of Orlando issued a statement at 4:44 p.m. Tuesday, September 5 that they are in monitoring level and are taking simple precautionary measures against potential impacts from Hurricane Irma. Stay up-to-date with the City of Orlando through their social media channels; facebook.com/cityoforlando.
Both the City of Winter Park and the City of Orlando are dispensing sandbags to residents who provide valid identification.
- Winter Park residents can get up to 12 bags per person between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Wednesday, September 6 to Friday, September 8 at the Public Works Compound located at 1409 Howell Branch Road [GMap]. UPDATE – Winter Park is out of sand bags.
- Orlando residents can receive 10 bags per address with proof of residents between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Thursday, September 7 and Friday, September 8 at the City of Orlando Streets and Stormwater Division located at 1010 Woods Avenue [GMap].
- Orange County will be dispensing sand bags 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday and Friday while supplies last. Click HERE for distribution locations.
Click HERE for a formula on how to create a Pet Evacuation Kit of essential items.
LYNX buses will run until winds reached sustained 35 mph and then they will be pulled off the road. ACCESS LYNX is only running for life-sustaining medical trips. UPDATE: LYNX has suspended services to comply with Central Florida emergency operations, to keep roads clear for emergency situations.
Other helpful hints:
- Conserve water – leave tasks like washing laundry, dishes, cars, and yachts until after the storm has passed.
- Tie down and secure loose outdoor equipment and materials.
- Keep a disaster kit stocked with water, food, first aid supplies, clothing, bedding, tools, and special items in case of evacuation.
- Zephyrhills has a delivery service.
- Amazon’s PrimeNow service is still delivering groceries, including beverages.
- You can click HERE to sign up to volunteer with the American Red Cross to help those affected by the hurricane.
- Dishwashers make great waterproof safes for things that shouldn’t get wet.
- Filling your tub with water can help you flush if you lose power. It also gives you something to do and keep your mind occupied.
- Treat intersections with de-powered traffic lights as four-way stops.
- FEMA HAS LAUNCHED A HURRICANE IRMA RUMOR CONTROL WEBSITE.
Orlando businesses responds:
- Ten 10 Brewery is offering to free any growlers, jugs, tubs, and containers with clean water from their water filtration system for free. They are located at 1010 Virginia Drive [GMap].
- Dandelion Communitea Cafe is also offering their kitchen facilities to fill water jugs. They’re located at 618 N. Thornton Avenue [GMap].
- The Thirsty Topher is offering to fill water containers as well. They are located at 601 Virginia Drive [Gmap].
- La Femme du Fromage has 60 cases of water available for purchase, according to their Facebook page. They are located in East End Market in Audubon Park.
- Bad As’s Sandwich is selling water as well, while supplies last. They are located at 207 Primrose Drive [GMap].
- Planet Fitness of Central Florida is offering their showers and locker rooms to members and non-members at any and all of their Planet Fitness locations, if they have experienced a loss of power and/or water due to the storm. Call your local gym to make sure they’re open prior to arrival.
- Hourglass Brewing is filling containers with clean water, during their regular open hours. They are located at 480 S. Ronald Reagan Boulevard, Longwood [GMap].
- American Airlines has added more flights for people in the path of the hurricane to evacuate. All flights with AA that were scheduled to the islands in its path have been canceled.
- JetBlue has capped prices for flights out of Florida at $99.
- Rosen Hotels is working on a waiting list for people seeking shelter. There is free wifi and no additional pet fee and no cancellation fees. Get on the waiting list by calling 866-337-6736.
- Starbucks in Thornton Park is offering to fill containers with water.
- OUC has hired extra line technicians and tree trimmers.
- PARK YOUR CAR IN ONE OF FIVE DOWNTOWN GARAGES FOR FREE. Update: the City Commons Garage is the lone garage with spaces available in advance of
- 7-Eleven is giving out free water at locations across Orlando. Look for trucks that say “Free Water” on them.
- VIETNOMZ IS OFFERING FREE FOOD FROM 11 A.M.-4 P.M. FOR EMERGENCY FIRST RESPONDERS.
- Waterford Lakes BJ’s Wholesale is waving memberships today only.
Event cancellations and changes:
- The UCF vs. Memphis football game is being rescheduled at a later date. They are still finding a new venue, according to Orlando Weekly. UPDATE – According to the Orlando Sentinel the game has been moved to 6:30 p.m. on Friday.
- Rollins College has cancelled classes for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
- GRINDR the Opera at Parliament House has been postponed until September 15.
- Barry University closing Florida locations starting Thursday until further notice.
- Orange County school sporting events previously scheduled for Friday have been moved to Thursday.
- Orlando Pride match vs. Seattle Reign FC has been rescheduled from Saturday to 8 p.m. Thursday.
- OMA’s Third Thursdays: Eclectic Knights IX will be postponed until further notice.
- Juice Bike Share is thinning their fleet at stations across the city. Be sure to use the app to see where there are available bikes before heading out for your trip. The entire fleet will be shut down prior to winds reaching 49 mph.
- Messiah Choral Society rehearsals at Rollins College.
- What’s Up Downtown Project DTO Update event has been cancelled.
- Valencia College will be closed Friday through Monday. Tuesday reopening is pending.
- Florida and Co. has postponed their Local Seafood, Craft Beer and Wine Festival until September 16.
- Blue Bamboo Center for the Arts has cancelled all of their events this weekend.
- The Orlando Public Library has cancelled their Sunday “Human Library” event.
- Modest Mouse has cancelled their Friday concert at Hard Rock Live.
- Adam Ant’s show at the Beacham has been postponed until a later date – TBD.
- All State courts will close Friday.
- 9/6/17: Nine flights have been cancelled out of the Orlando International Airport; eight to Puerto Rico and one to Key West.
- There will be no Downtown Orlando Farmers Market on Sunday.
- Wall St. Plaza has officially postponed MargaritaFest until further notice.
- Paramore’s Saturday concert at Dr. Phillips center for the Performing Arts has been rescheduled for December 5.
- Orange County Clerk of Court will be closed Friday and Monday.
- Mennello Museum will be closed through September 11.
- Se7en Bites Bake Shop will close through Monday.
- Buttermilk Bakery will be closed at least for Sunday.
- The Redlight Redlight shrimp boil on Saturday has been cancelled.
- Orlando International Airport to close Saturday at 5 p.m. Passengers should check with their airline regarding their flights.
- Disney on Ice Dare to Dream performances have been postponed to a later date.
- All parking garages at OIA are full and cars are being redirected to economy lots.
- OnePulse Foundation Town Hall forum has been rescheduled to October 9.
- The boat ramp at Dinky Dock Park and all Winter Park canals in the Chain of Lakes are closed until further notice.
- All City of Winter Park public parks and recreational facilities will remain closed until further notice
- The Saturday Winter Park Farmers’ Market will remain open.
- WastPro is running regular pickup for trash and recycling on Friday, September 8.
- SunRail ending service earlier on Friday with the last train of the night being the southbound from DeBary at 6 p.m. and the 7:30 p.m. northbound train from Sand Lake Road.
- Fairwinds Credit Union will close all locations through Tuesday, September 12 – pending safety of conditions.
- YMCA is closing their locations until further notice, across Central Florida.
- All Centra Care locations will be closed Sunday and Monday.
- Orlando Fashion Square Mall is closing at 5 p.m. Friday.
- Mall at Millenia is closing at 2 p.m. Friday.
- Lake Alert issued for all City lakes due to the hurricane. It is a high potential for water contamination due to sewer overflows as well as active/stressed wildlife, and other safety concerns.
- Publix is closing their Central Florida stores Saturday evening at 8 p.m.
- ABC Fine Wine and Spirits to close at noon.
- Universal Orlando to close Saturday through Monday. Expected to open Tuesday for regular hours.
- Tuesday’s performance of The King and I at the Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts has been cancelled. Remaining performances to stay the same.
- Orlando Rep’s Newsies on Saturday and Sunday have been cancelled.
BARS/RESTAURANTS THAT ARE STILL OPEN (SAT)
- The Woods/The Lodge – 49 N. Orange Avenue
- The Guesthouse – 1321 N. Mills Avenue
- The Porch Winter Park – 643 N. Orange Avenue
- Tin and Taco – 40 W. Washington Street
- Burton’s Thornton Park – 801 E. Washington Street
- Swirlery Wine Bar – 1508 E. Michigan Street
- Artisan’s Table – 22 E. Pine Street
- Wally’s – 1001 N. Mills Avenue
- Barley and Vine Biergarten – 2406 E. Washington Street
ORANGE COUNTY SHELTER INFORMATION
Shelters will open at 9 a.m. on Saturday, September 9; including shelters with persons with special needs and those with pets.
If you plan on using a shelter, be sure to bring an emergency supply kit, a pillow and blanket, toiletries, important papers and medications, snacks, water, flashlight, and other essential personal items. Items should last you at least 72 hours.
- Apopka High School
555 Martin St. Apopka, FL 32712
- Colonial High School – NEAR CAPACITY
6100 Oleander Dr. Orlando, FL 32807
- East River High School
654 Columbia School Rd. Orlando, FL 32833
- Edgewater High School
3100 Edgewater Dr. Orlando, FL 32804
- Memorial Middle School
2220 29th St. Orlando, FL 32805
- Odyssey Middle School
9290 Lee Vista Blvd. Orlando, FL 32829
- West Orange High School
1625 Beulah Rd. Winter Garden, FL 34787
- Barnett Park Community Center (Pet Friendly)
4801 W. Colonial Dr. Orlando, FL 32808
- Bithlo Community Center (Pet Friendly)
18501 Washington Ave. Orlando, FL 32820