Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer and District 4 City Commissioner Patty Sheehan will officially cut the ribbon to open the Eola House in Downtown’s Lake Eola Park this morning.
The Eola House is located at 512 East Washington St in the southeast corner of the park [GMap]. The house will serve as the office for Lake Eola Park, a welcome center and an Orlando gift shop.
The city is hosting an open house for the community on Sunday. Click here for more info about the open house.
We stopped in yesterday for an advance look inside the renovated house. Click through the slide show above for some photos.
Here’s some background on the house:
The two-story house was built in 1924 in the Mediterranean Revival style of architecture. The Eola House will now serve as the main office for Lake Eola Park and a welcome center for the City of Orlando. The welcome center will feature history about Orlando, local art, information on nearby points of interest and a gift shop.
The house is also Orlando’s newest venue for meetings, weddings and receptions. It includes an upstairs balcony patio, two conference or meeting rooms and a bride’s room.The house is located on the newly expanded east lawn which opened earlier this year at the Fireworks at the Fountain July 4th event. The expansion includes 1.36 acres of lawn, new LED lighting, widened sidewalks, nearly 4,000 square feet of paved patio and an additional 7,500 square feet of brick paved space on East Washington Street.
This new expansion increases the total land area of the park to more than 17 acres and nearly 47 acres including the lake. The expansion completes the outline of Lake Eola Park and creates a contiguous gateway to the neighborhoods, restaurants and businesses in the surrounding area.