Orlando area arts, cultural and social service organizations celebrate the most read English author after Shakespeare with 202 event days celebrating his 202nd birthday.
The series called “What the Dickens Orlando” beings this month with plays, exhibitions, trivia nights, pub crawls and lectures.
Highlights for the month of January include:
- Delightful character sketches by Jason Hunt – inspired by Dickens books. Opening reception tonight at the Orange County Administration Center.
- The year will begin and end with his most popular story, “A Christmas Carol”. Catch the beloved Muppets version at the Science Center any day this week.
- Parts I and II of the Shakespeare Theater’s Nicholas Nickleby open at the end of the month.
- Win cash prizes at a trivia night the second Tuesday of the month, where contemporary topics from SunRail to Barak Obama will be tied back to something related to Dickens and his times.
- Free viewing of the film “Great Expectations” and other Dickens’ movies at the downtown library.
We’ve added a lot of the What the Dickens events to our Bungalower Events Calendar here but you can also visit their website for a complete listing.