Here’s our rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week in Downtown Orlando area news.
- Orange County commissioners plans to keep the six cent gas tax that helps to pay for transportation needs in the area. This put Orange County’s gas tax amount the lowest in the state. The tax is a fixed amount versus a percent of the sale which would allow the counties to bring in more money as gas prices increase. One Commissioner is proposing a half-cent sales tax increase for infrastructure projects but some fear it will cause confusion with a similar half-cent tax for schools.
- Orange County voters will get to vote on if all county races should be nonpartisan and subject to term limits. The Board of County Commissioners did not put move forward to expand the board or change the rules around adding referendums to the ballot. Voters will get a chance to vote on these to issues on November 4.
- Regina Hill beat out Juan Lynum in the runoff for the District 5 City Council Seat. District 5 includes the Parramore and Central Business District areas of Downtown Orlando
- Around 10,000 Passengers a Day Riding SunRail in First Free Week. This despite some problems.
- The Gallery at Mills Park Apartments are set to open this month. The new apartments are located in the Mills Park development on Mills near Virginia. Be sure to checkout our Photo Tour.
- The Citrus Bowl Construction is well underway. Checkout our Photo Tour of the construction progress.
- On Friday Mayor Buddy Dyer celebrated Bike to Work Day with a record crowd joining him at Loch Haven Park and riding the Urban Trail to City Hall. In case you missed it, the missing portion of the Urban Trail is a pedestrian bridge over Colonial Drive to connect to Gertrude’s Walk. It’s now funded along with the missing portion of Gertrude’s Walk.
- Bananas Diner Closed this weekend to become Mills Brew Pub. We’ll keep you updated on their progress.
- PR’s Taco Place has pushed back their opening date. We told you back in January that PR’s Taco Palace will be open by Cinco de Mayo…we’ll it’s May 12 and they still aren’t open.
- In restaurant review land…Scott Joseph reviewed Txokos Basque Kitchen and says it was worth the wait and Tasty Chomps stops in at Bungalower favorite P is for Pie Bakeshop in Audubon Park.
Get our top ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.