Here’s our rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week in Downtown Orlando area news.
- Project DTO presented on the opportunities for Downtown Orlando. Major themes included transit/connectivity, open spaces and identity Here’s the complete list of opportunities from each of the Project DTO committees
- Orange Avenue in downtown to close for three weeks in mid-July. The City will be making improvements to the road across from the Dr Phillips Center’s CNL Arts Plaza and City Hall’s City Commons Plaza to help make the two plazas flow seamlessly. They’ll also be making some pedestrian improvements to the road.
- Single cart increases recycling 35 percent and saves over $100K. It’s been just over a year since the introduction of the single cart recycling program and so far it’s increased both participating houses and the amount of recyclables being collected all while saving the City money.
- Scott Maxwell takes a look at the County’s move to close Fern Creek. He says both sides have valid arguments and hopes that whatever they put in Fern Creek’s place will build upon the great success of Fern Creek.
- Uber talks taxi rules with the City of Orlando. We’ve been telling you about the uphill battle Uber faces in trying to navigate around the current taxi regulations. At stake for the City is almost $1 million in fees collected by the City from taxis and over $10 million collected by the airport. At this point UberX continues to operate in the City without any reports of enforcement from the City.
- International artist paints five-story mural in Mills 50. The new mural on the former Cruises Only building was part of an exhibit that opened on Friday at Snap! Space.
- Yogen Fruz Yogurt Shop to Open in College Park. The new yogurt shop will be the third ice cream shop to open in the area.
- Kaká adds to Orlando City’s perfect summer surge. Orlando City Soccer is in “advanced discussions” with Brazilian superstar Ricardo Kaká. This adds to the excitement Orlando City Soccer has been seeing selling over 5,000 season tickets to their MLS season in the first eight days.
- Jon Busdeker stops by Big Daddy’s Roadhouse in Audubon Park for some karaoke. You can check our his video of what to expect in one of the few Karaoke spots in the Bungalower area.
- Orlando Weekly swings by Super Rico Colombian Bistro in Downtown Orlando. They like the Colombian restaurant which is described as “a place for folks to enjoy good Colombian food, music, culture and camaraderie.”
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.
This is the last week to Join Bungalower and get the July Bungalower Bundle with a $10 gift certificate to The Strand, a free drink at Aku Aku, free crepe at Qarma Crepes and free yogurt at You Say When Yogurt Shoppe. Learn more >>