Here’s our rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week in Downtown Orlando area news.
- Orange Ave is closed for three weeks. The City is making changes to the roadway to help connect City Commons Plaza at City Hall to the new Dr. Phillips Center.
- MegaBus accommodations draw criticism. We told you back in May that MegaBus would be adding more destinations from Orlando but that they would also be moving their pickup location. Their new pickup location is a parking lot with a tent and some portable toilets.
- SunRail Riders started a petition to add weekend and late night service. The petition has over 1,500 signatures and the topic has been added to the rail commission agenda for this week’s meeting.
- David Siegel confirmed purchase of Orlando Predators. The time-share mogul says he’ll move the team back to the Amway Center for their games.
- Sale of Valencia College’s historic downtown building closed. The building on Orange Ave and Church St was sold to Nunziata Holdings. They say they want to add retail on the first floor.
- Orlando City sells nearly 7,500 season tickets for their first MLS season. They except to cap season ticket sales at 14,000.
- Coyotes are continuing to cause problems in the Bungalow districts. The coyotes are killing cats in some areas and based on the comments have been spotted all around our area.
- Forbidden City Chinese Restaurant in Mills 50 to Close. We told you back in January about the sale of the building and now the restaurant will be closing by November.
- Nora’s Sugar Shack to Open in Ivanhoe Village. After closing her previous location back in April, she’s now ready to open her new shop in the same district.
- In bar review world…Orlando Weekly stops by Schumann’s Jager Haus on Church Street, Orlando Culture Shock grabs a drink at Ollie’s Public House in College Park and The Pulse of Orlando doesn’t love the Lucky Lure in Ivanhoe Village
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.
Thanx for the link to my Orlando Culture Shock blog.