Here’s our rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week in Downtown Orlando area news.
- Some Orange County leaders back gay marriage. While a majority of the Orange County commissioners voiced their support for marriage for same-sex couples, Mayor Teresa Jacobs stated she still felt it wasn’t a local issue. Commissioner Ted Edwards, who represents the bungalow districts, also passed along the same sentiment via a staff person.
- UCF hosting event to talk about downtown campus. The invitation only event would discuss the idea of bringing a college or two to the downtown area in Creative Village. UCF received funding from the state to consider this idea.
- The Orlando City Council will vote today to approve a deal that would put the Orlando Predators back at the Amway Center. They’ll also vote to allow the Dr Phillips Center to manage the Bob Carr Performing Arts Center for three years.
- Science Center focuses on reinventing itself. The Orlando Science Center is looking to focus more on STEM education and younger children. The Center’s President points out the Orlando is the largest city without a children’s museum, which would focus on children under seven.
- Pollack Shores Holds a Design-Update Meeting for The Princeton. The project that we told you about early in the summer continues to hold meetings in College Park to get input from residents.
- Firebirds Wood Fired Grill opens in Mills 50. The upscale casual chain restaurant opened in the Market at Mills Park development.
- Green Day Cafe to open in North Quarter. The eco-friendly restaurant will open in the former Virgin Olive market space.
- Kappo Japanese shop opens in East End Market. The Japanese shop is the latest vendor to open in the market.
- Funky Monkey in Mills 50 to add favorites from Nick’s Italian Kitchen. Nick’s may have closed down in the Thornton Park District but their menu lives on at Funky Monkey.
- Scott Joseph takes a look at the new Mills Brewpub & Eatery in Mills 50. Overall he enjoyed to food, service and updated decor.
This is the last week to join and get the August Bungalower Bundle. Get a $10 gift certificate to Txokos Basque Kitchen at East End Market along with a free mini-pie at P is for Pie Bakeshop, free manicure at Beauty on the Spot Spa and a free drink at Mills Brewpub. Join today for just $9.95/month and 100% of your membership supports Bungalower! Click here to learn more >>