Here’s our rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week in Downtown Orlando area news. Sponsored by Olde Town Brokers.
- Orlando Citrus Bowl opens in time for Florida Classic. The reconstruction of the Orlando Citrus bowl is almost complete. The Citrus Bowl has been undergoing a reconstruction of 90% of the stadium. It was open this past weekend for the Florida Classic and will be 100% complete in time for the upcoming bowl games.
- Bike share to start at four locations next month, 20 by spring. Bike share will finally get off the ground but with just four stations downtown. The other sixteen will follow in the spring.
- Two major sporting announcements last week. The NCAA tournament is returning to Amway Center in 2017 and FSU, Ole Miss to open new Orlando Citrus Bowl series of kickoff games.
- Orlando Magic to pay $3M to move homeless shelter to make room for $200M complex. The move will allow the Magic to use the entire block for their new entertainment complex.
- City approves historic sign restoration for Cameo Theater Building in Mills 50. The new sign will go on top of the building that is currently occupied by Snap! Space. It will look very similar to the way the sign looked in the 1940’s.
- Orlando International suit wants Uber drivers off airport property. Orlando International Airport is suing Uber, ordering its drivers to stay off its property and seeking $150,000 in damages because the ride-sharing company isn’t paying any fees.
- Orlando opens first dog park. The City now has an off-leash dog park. The Park of the Americas has two large fenced in dog areas; one for small dogs, one for large dogs.
- Orange to add four K-8 schools in four years. The school board has accelerated plans to open a new K-8 school in Audubon Park to 2017 and a K-8 that would combine Lake Como and Kaley elementaries to 2018.
- Sentinel’s Heather McPherson says Pig Floyd’s is ‘Cue with sass and sizzle and that it fits Mills 50 to a T.
- Scott Joseph stops by the World of Beer Downtown and while he would have preferred something a little more upscale in that location he finds it to be a pleasant addition to the area.
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.