Here’s our rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week in Downtown Orlando area news. Sponsored by Olde Town Brokers.
- Rethink appeals Princeton at College Park project. We’ve been telling you about the Princeton at College Park apartment project that recently won approval by City Council. Well the opponents to the project are now taking it to court.
- Cyclists ride Orlando sidewalks, even though it is illegal. One person was cited in the past 14 years but the law still remains on the books.
- The new Dr Phillips Center for the for Performing Arts was in the news a lot this week. They held their 1st night of Broadway and the Sentinel’s Matt Palm wrote up a review from the cheap seats. The sentinel also released a survey they conducted that shows that Orlando arts groups remain wary of new Dr. Phillips Center. And the round building is getting a little payback as the demolition continues to move at a very slow pace.
- Mayor Buddy Dyer gave his annual State of the Downtown address last week. You can watch it here or read the Sentinel’s overview here. As part of his speech, Dyer shared top ten themes for the future of Downtown Orlando.
- Historic Vietnam War aircraft added to Kittinger Park. You may have seen the aircraft off the 408 by the Executive Airport. A non-profit raised the money to put the jet on display as a memorial.
- City seeks public art for SunRail station at Loch Haven Park. As part of an NEA grant, the city will be adding public art by the SunRail station. We’ll be sure to let you know what gets picked.
- Two new breweries were set to open in Ivanhoe Village area. We got an update, and both are back on track and set to open in the next couple of months.
- Some restaurant news. North Quarter Tavern to open at Nora in North Quarter, we’ve got updates on the three places set to open in Mills Park, Smashburger opens first Orlando location across from Fashion Square Mall and later this week we’ll be giving you some updates on Elliot’s Public House (it closed), OLV (it’s back open) and some other new restaurants.
- In bar land, Bar-BQ-Bar owners taking over Peacock Room. No details yet on what the new bar will be or what it will be called.
- And finally, the Sentinel’s Matt Palm gives us a Theater review of ‘James Joyce’s The Dead’ now playing at the Mad Cow Theatre.
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.