Here’s our rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week in Downtown Orlando area news. Sponsored by Olde Town Brokers.
- Today the City Council will take up the second reading of an amendment to the vehicles-for-hire ordinance which would allow companies like Uber and Lyft an ability to operate legally. Our Take is that the Ridesharing amendment is a step in the right direction but still requires more work. Scott Maxwell says that the Uber debate shows need for Orlando to modernize, equalize taxi laws [subscription required].
- City begins installing smart meters downtown. The meters will allow users to pay with credit card and via a mobile app. The meters will be installed by the end of the month, but the sensors will take a little longer, which is what will allow the app to work.
- Work Begins on Site for New OPD Headquarters. Crews began demolishing the existing structure on the corner of South St. and Orange Blossom Trail where the new headquarters will be built.
- Orlando police warming up to body cameras [subscription required]. After nine months in on a year-long study of 50 officers equipped with the cams, OPD police chief John Mina is ready to equip more officers.
- Elliot’s Public House in Ivanhoe Village closes. Sign says they are closed for renovations but they recently opened and they have not updated their Facebook page.
- OLV Cafe at Sodo in Downtown South reopens. Hours are limited right now, but they plan to expand them in the future.
- Spice Burgr opens at the Chase Plaza downtown. The new burger joint opened in the former Meltz location. They serve burgers, hot dogs and chicken sandwiches.
- New hookah bar to open in Mills 50. The owners are still working out the name of the bar but they plan to have hookah, beer, and wine.
- Local Orlando Gift Ideas. Our friends at The Orlandoan have put together the first part of their holiday gift guide. Head on over and check out their suggestions. But don’t forget you can purchase the monthly Bunglower Bundle as a gift.
- Orlando Cultureshock stops by Beth’s Burger Bar and calls it a place for real burger lovers.
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.