The following was shared by the Orlando Utilities Commission earlier this week.
With the cooler weather, OUC wants to remind customers to be safe when keeping warm. By following these energy saving and safety tips, customers can stay comfortable during the cold weather:
- Open blinds and drapes during the day to let in the warm sunshine.
- At night, close blinds or drapes to help keep out cold air.
- Set your thermostat to 68 degrees. For each degree above 68, the heating portion of your bill will increase four to six percent.
- Set the fan to auto and replace dirty filters to allow your system to operate as efficiently as possible.
- Keep portable heaters at least three feet away from furniture, bedding, walls, clothing and other flammable items.
- An electric blanket can help keep you warm on a cold night, but follow the manufacturer’s instructions and make sure to turn it off and unplug it when not in use.
- Never tuck in an electrical blanket.
- Never use your stove or oven to heat your home.
- If temperatures drop below freezing, cover any exposed water pipes and leave pool pumps running.
Customers may report outages by calling OUC’s 24-hour Emergency Service hotline at 407.823.9150.