This sign could adorn the historic building at 190 S. Orange Ave in downtown Orlando sometime soon [Gmap].
The applicant is hoping to open the ground floor windows for a new storefront, add canopy awnings, a green screen at the main entrance and the new vertical sign with a digital reader board at the corner of Church and Orange.
The building was constructed in 1929 by Howard Reynolds, landmarked in 1977, and is a significant structure in the Downtown Historic District that was created in 1980.
The four-story terra cotta covered building was once the First National Bank and has a classically inspired Art Deco design. The bank closed in the 1930s and originally had a number of large signs in the same place the new owner is proposing to place the new one.
We’re unsure about the actual use of the space, but we’ve heard rumors about a possible indoor market coming to downtown. We are hoping to have an update on this story later in the week.