Rendering by Process Architecture
An unnamed developer has filed a petition to the Historic Preservation Board to rehabilitate the facade of the 41 West Church Street building in Downtown Orlando [GMap].
The building was once the home of the Dubliner and Don Hefe’s, but has been sitting vacant. New unnamed nightlife concepts are in the works for the space. We will be sharing more details on those projects in the near future.
The building was originally built in 1920 for Swann’s Dry Goods and Sundries and then renovated in 1940 to sport a Vitrolite/Carrara glass covering on the facade, in an effort to make it appear more modern. A common practice of the time. In 1960, the building was renovated again when it housed the first J.C. Penney store in Orlando. The applicant is asking the City for permission to restore the historic facade by replacing broken glass tiles and damaged stucco, and to recreate the historic 1940’s J.C. Penney signage, pictured below.
Project architect Wes Featherston of Process Architecture (Website) informed us that they are hoping to unify the facade signage package and return a the building to its more interesting “legacy branding.” They are in the process of obtaining the necessary approvals from the corporate offices of J.C. Penney in order to move forward.