SPONSORED by the Orange County Regional History Center: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Listen to our latest episode of “Bungalower and the Bus” HERE. It’s a fun weekly conversation of the week’s top headlines, usually over beers! You can catch it live on Real Radio 104.1 at 9 p.m. every Friday. Keep your eyes peeled for our May ‘zine issue too!
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- That long-vacant dirt lot in Mills Park is finally for sale, and it’s zoned for hotel or office.
- We got our first look at the designs for the new Holocaust Museum in Ivanhoe Village.
- Bring to Orlando: Greenwood Cemetery wants the soon-to-be homeless FSU Eppes statue.
- The interim Pulse memorial park opened to the public on May 8.
- Local juicer New Moon Market is expanding their College Park store.
- The County is fighting mosquitoes with fish. Or at least trying to.
- “Discover the Best of Orlando.” – National Geographic
- “Everything to Know About Orlando.” – National Geographic
- “97 percent of Orlando homes are unaffordable for restaurant workers, study says.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Here’s a look at Orlando’s interim Pulse Nightclub Memorial.” – HuffPost
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- “Paperwork filed to redevelop Travelodge parcel into a new hotel.” – Bungalower
- “Saxon-Clark opening a new furniture store in College Park.” – Bungalower
- “Pulitzerhttp://bungalower.com/2018/05/07/pulitzer-prize-winning-author-gilbert-king-speaking-at-history-center-may-14/Prize-winning author Gilbert King speaking at History Center, May 14.” – Bungalower
- “Ask Bungalower: What’s getting built at East Pineloch and Osceola?” – Bungalower
- “Record 72 million tourists came to Orlando last year.” – NewsOK
- “Winter Park Residents Do Not Want You to Park Behind East End Market.” – The Daily City
- “Gelato Fiasco opens today in Orlando’s SoDo neighborhood.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Blended Cafe Bar is expected to open in College Park later this month.” – Orlando Weekly
- [PAYWALL] “Local PE group buys a turn-key office building in downtown Orlando to relocate.” – GrowthSpotter
- [PAYWALL] “Passing the torch: Silver tsunami results in a dozen Orlando-area top leadership changeovers.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Winter Park High School captures overall state rowing title.” – Winter Park/Maitland Observer
FEATURED REAL ESTATE:
- “Massive rental pool home in Spring Lake wants $3,200/month.”
- “College Park pool home asking $444,000.”
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Monday 5/14: An Evening with Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Gilbert King (Downtown)
- Monday 5/14: Justin Timberlake Concert Block Party (Church Street)
- Monday 5/14: The Venue Presents BYOV and Black Venue Preview (Ivanhoe Village)
- Tuesday 5/15: Orlando International Fringe Theater Festival (Ivanhoe Village)
- Tuesday 5/15: Florida Forward – Florida’s Opioid Crisis (Audubon Park)
- Tuesday 5/15: SODO Zoning Modifications and Divison Street Area Improvements community meeting (SODO)
- Tuesday 5/15: Bangrak X Pizza Bruno (Hourglass)
- Wednesday 5/16: 6th Annual Harvey Milk Diversity Breakfast (College Park)
- Thursday 5/17: Third Thursday Gallery Walk and Art Market (Downtown)
- Thursday 5/17: Orlando Sentinel Foodie Awards Celebration (Downtown)
- Friday 5/18: The Return of the Drunk Spelling Bee (Thornton Park)