SPONSORED by OCLS’s Booktoberfest on October 5: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
If you missed us on Real Radio 104.1 this past Friday, you can still listen to our 84th episode of “Bungalower and the Bus” HERE. We’re also happy to announce that we were just named as an Amazon Influencer and were given our own branded shop on the retail giant’s website to sell whatever we want to! We’ve decided to use that service to create an Amazon Hurricane Kit where you can have hard-to-find essentials delivered straight to your door. Click HERE to learn more.
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- Television foodie star Andrew Zimmern ate his way across Orlando last week in what many media outlets described as an “apology tour.”
- We’ve just launched an Amazon Hurricane Kit where you can purchase hard-to-find essentials and have them delivered straight to your home while you concentrate on storing lawn furniture and battening your hatches.
- Road Alert: Colonial Drive will be shut down every weekend this month between Orange Avenue and Garland Avenue.
- Another month and another set of plans for that corner on Colonial and Fern Creek. This time it’s going to be a six-pump Racetrac gas station.
- Barb Solomon, the gravelly-voiced operator of the long-closed Oldies But Goodies shop in Ivanhoe Village, has died.
- Pottery Barn released a Hogwarts-inspired bedroom collection and everyone is freaking out.
- “A guide to Orlando’s Oktoberfest and fall-themed drinking events.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Alex Martins: The goal for the Orlando Magic is to get better.” – Orlando Magic Daily
- “Hurricane Florence: UCF at UNC football game canceled.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Orlando City promises to host best MS All-Star Game ever in 2019.” – Pro Soccer USA
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Cool Job Alert: Executive director at American Red Cross Orlando.” – Bungalower
- “Cool Job Alert: Parramore Farmer’s Market Coordinator.” – Bungalower
- “Mennello hosting exhibition of works looking at the Black and Brown Body.” – Bungalower
- “RaceTrac planning gas station east of downtown Orlando.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Results of survey show Orlando wants to go green.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Orlando is home to these Guinness World Records.” – Click Orlando “
- “The Makeup Show comes to Orlando.” – Click Orlando
- “Café Frutos Selectos opens second Colombian coffeehouse in downtown Orlando.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Popular sub spot Manzano’s Deli is now open in Winter Park.’ – Orlando Weekly
- “New Winter Park library/event center receives first approval from planning and zoning board.” – Winter Park/Maitland Observer
- “Vinia Wine Bar planned for Winter Park.” – Winter Park/Maitland Observer
- [PAYWALL] “LIFT Orlando clearing commercial site near Camping World Stadium.” – GrowthSpotter
- [PAYWALL] “GreenTree readies plan for $300M infill redevelopment next to Amway Center.” – GrowthSpotter
- “Cool office space available for lease in Mills 50.”
- “Orlando Museum of Art to host exhibition by uber-famous artist Nick Cave.”
- “Global Peace Film Festival running September 17-23.”
- “Boone High School’s drama program hosting performances at Plaza Live.”
- “Great Reads: Orange County Public Library’s September book selections.”
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Monday 9/17: Music Mondays – Hair (Maitland)
- Monday 9/17-23: Global Peace Film Festival (Winter Park)
- Tuesday 9/18: Yelp 101 – Tips and Tools for Business Owners (Downtown)
- Wednesday 9/19: Peek A Boo 10-Year Anniversary (South Eola)
- Thursday 9/20: Orlando 60 field Trip – Nikki’s Place Southern Cuisine (Parramore)
- Thursday 9/20: Nelson Mandela Through the Lens of Peter Morey (Downtown)
- Thursday 9/20: The Royal Family (Church Street)
- Friday 9/21: Feminism and the Guerrilla Girls (UCF)
- Friday 9/21-22: BART Farewell Party Weekend (Mills 50)