SPONSORED BY RUNWAY TO HAITI: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
If you missed us on Real Radio 104.1 this past Friday, you can still listen to our 105th episode of “Bungalower and the Bus” HERE, recorded at the Orlando Meats in Ivanhoe Village.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- The folks behind Joysticks are opening a Halloween-themed bar downtown.
- This Orlandoan just challenged himself to eat only food he grows and forages for the next year in order to call attention to our wasteful food policies.
- Gene’s Auto Service moved out of Audubon Park and a restaurant is moving in.
- Investors have purchased a major chunk of Mills 50 at Mills and Colonial.
- The Orlando Rep’s Executive Director, Gene Columbus, has announced his pending retirement.
- We’ve got a Cool Job Alert for you! The Orange County Library System is hiring a new Chief Financial Officer.
- We told you about Third Thursday moving to a new venue this month, but the most exciting part of that story was the announcement of Downtown Arts District working on a new pocket park off Pine Street.
- “Loathe thy neighbor: Central Florida feud flares over runaway llamas, guns and a barbecued pig.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “City of Orlando defends use of Parramore Kidz Zone funds to pay criminal court costs.” – clickorlando.com
- “Orlando apartment rents rising faster than the national average.” – FOX 35
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Orlando temple welcomes the Year of the Pig.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Peter Murphy postpones Orlando show due to ‘pain.'” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Duane Michals’ witty portraits push and pull his starry subjects through the looking glass.” – Orlando Weekly
- “D’Ernest Johnson, other locals shine in Orlando Apollos triumph.” – Tampa Bay Times
- “Miracle of Love’s Project Red will have ‘Wigs in Space’ at the Parliament House.” – Watermark
- “Weldon, Weaver face off at WP Chamber.” – Winter Park Voice
- [PAYWALL] “70-year-old Winter Park shopping center under contract for redevelopment.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Thornton Park 2/2 wants $329,000.”
- “College Park jewel box home asking $369,000.”
- “Historic Dubsdread shingle home wants $637,000.”
🔗 PARTNER LINKS:
- “And33’s Thrift Shop on Colonial Drive offers unique/quirky finds.”
- “Boone High School presents Catch Me If You Can, February 14-16.”
- “Great Reads: Orange County Public Library’s February book selections.”
- “Orlando Ballet’s Bailamos stomps onto the stage, February 15.”
- “Neighborhood and Community Summit back for 14th year, March 2.”
🔥 HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Monday 2/11: StarterStudio Demo Day (South Eola)
- Tuesday 2/12: Jewish Book Festival – Historical Fiction Panel (Maitland)
- Tuesday 2/12: February Permaculture Exchange (Audubon Park)
- Tuesday 2/12: Cult Classics – The Wedding Singer (Maitland)
- Wednesday 2/13: UCF Downtown Open House (Out of Bounds)
- Wednesday 2/14: Anti-Valentine L.O.L. (Ivanhoe Village)
- Wednesday 2/14: Cupid’s Tribute to Red Fox Lounge (Mills 50)
- Thursday 2/14: We Heart Hearts (Ivanhoe Village)
- Thursday 2/14-16: Catch Me If You Can (College Park)
- Thursday 2/14-16: Nude Nite Orlando (Out of Bounds)
- Friday 2/15: Renniger’s Antique Extravaganza (Out of Bounds)