Mason Capital Partners, the new owners of the historic Bumby Arcade Building on Church Street, have filed plans with the City of Orlando to construct a free-standing addition to the east side of the building as part of their a proposed “Church Street Food Hall” concept.
The structure proposed in the paperwork is a steel-beamed gateway that hugs the Bumby Building along the railroad tracks, would create a new east side entry to the Orchid Room portion of the building where El Buda Restaurant and Maddy’s Craft and Cru once operated.
The Bumby Hardware Store was built in 1886 by an English merchant and was landmarked by ordinance in 1977. Plans for the scaffolding-like structure are meant to allow visitors to to see the historic building without obstructing the view of the historic features including the windows and shutters..
The plans will be reviewed by the Historic Preservation Board at their upcoming May 24 meeting. Read more about the history of the building and the man behind the name, Joseph Bumby, by clicking HERE.
Further details on the food hall concept have not been made public at this time.