SPONSORED by Downtown Darryl Real Estate: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
If you missed us on Real Radio 104.1 this past Friday, you can still listen to our 118th episode of “Bungalower and the Bus” HERE.
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- Local filmmakers, Strong Films, made a documentary about the first interracial little league baseball game in the South and now it’s on Netflix.
- WMFE’s LaFontaine Oliver is leaving The City Beautiful and returning to Baltimore.
- A sculpture of a Winter Park resident and former Tuskegee Airman was vandalized and the WPPD is looking for the terrible human that did it.
- That hybrid Jamaican/English restaurant/cafe/jazz venue has finally opened in Downtown Orlando and we’ve got some shots of the interior.
- A fancy new Olive Garden just opened up by Fashion Square Mall and our Facebook followers are mad that we called it “fancy.”
- Outpost Neighborhood Kitchen is moving out of College Park and into a much larger space in the Maitland City Center in the fall.
- Orlando Meats is taking over the pizza oven at Orange County Brewers and we can’t wait to see what they do with it.
- “Still most visited place, Orlando had 75 million visitors.” – SF Gate
- “Orlando employers have a problem: Low wages are prompting workers to leave for better jobs.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “New HUD rule would render 55,000 children of immigrants homeless.” – Curbed
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Ask Bungalower: What’s gonna happen with Kaley Elementary?” – Bungalower
- “Audubon Park Garden District looking to transform alleyways into public spaces.” – Bungalower
- “City changing code concerning alcoholic beverage sales.” – Bungalower
- “City of Winter Park begins visioning process for old library site.” – Bungalower
- “College Park is getting a Mediterranean Restaurant.” – Bungalower
- “Rental Roundup: 5 homes you can rent for under $1,500.” – Bungalower
- “Uber’s a public company. Now what?” – Curbed
- “3 train crashes at same intersection in Orlando within 5 months.” – FOX 35
- “Rappelling event raises money for veterans in Orlando.” – FOX 35
- “3-legged bear makes the rounds near Orlando.” – KTUU
- “Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis vetoes bill that bans cities from banning plastic straws.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Nearly a third of teachers in metro Orlando struggle to afford housing, study says.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Lady Gaga cusses out Orlando Tech Convention audience, later strips down in poolside snap.” – Popculture.com
- “Orlando City invites Homegrown prospects to join training, urges them to consider it their home.” – ProSoccer USA
- “SeaWorld Orlando to bring back free beer next month.” – Spectrum News 13
- “Polasek Museum announces Precious Pollinators summer exhibition.”
- “2/2 Lakeside condo at The Vue at Lake Eola asking $435,000.”
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Monday 5/13: Greetings from Queertown – Fundraiser (South Eola)
- Monday 5/13: The In-Between Series Presents: Tape Studies (Downtown)
- Tuesday 5/14-19: Anastasia (Downtown)
- Tuesday 5/14: Thai Street Food – Open House Event (Mills 50)
- Tuesday 5/14: West Lakes Business Breakfast with Terry Prather (West Orlando)
- Wednesday 5/15: Pizza Bruno Pop-up (Milk District)
- Thursday 5/16: The Great Rotary Club of Orlando Swan Boat Race (Lake Eola)
- Thursday 5/16: The Orlando Art Collective 2019 Member Show (Downtown)
- Friday 5/17: Evening Exchange at East End (Audubon Park)
- Friday 5/17: Inclusion Incorporated: Florida Forum (Downtown)
- Friday 5/17: Pack Animals (Orlando Fringe)
- Friday 5/17: Spring Book Sale (Downtown)