SPONSORED by OCLS Adult Summer Reading Program: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
If you missed us on Real Radio 104.1 this past Friday, you can still listen to our 125th episode of “Bungalower and the Bus” HERE which was recorded at RockPit Brewing in the SODO District.
Get our Top Ten in your inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- The Mayor held his State of the City address last week and here is a breakdown of what he shared.
- Summer has only just begun and Orlando used the most power ever this past Monday.
- The City of Orlando Parks Department just released special beetles to eat invasive air potato vines.
- A sudden fire at Shin Jung has closed the popular Mills 50 restaurant for the foreseeable future.
- Treehouse, the bar you never knew about, has reopened and expanded to triple its size.
- Get to know Giovanni Fernandez of National Real Estate, one of the brains behind the headline-grabbing Hourglass District.
- The Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts was awarded a massive grant from the National Endowment for the Arts to study if art really can have a positive, measurable impact on humans.
- “Lawsuits claim Orlando restaurant owners defrauded green card hopefuls to ‘steal every penny’” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Orlando to get new seed-fund group for tech startups.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Indoor Farmers Market Returns July 28th to Downtown Orlando.” – The Daily City
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Sideward Brewing releases special shotgun beer can.” – Bungalower
- “Blight and vacant land are a national crisis for smaller cities.” – Curbed
- “Paris to plant mini urban forests to combat climate change.” – Curbed
- “Man accused of killing Busch Gardens’ famous flamingo hit by truck, killed in Orlando.” – FOX 13
- “Here are the most (and least) expensive Orlando neighborhoods for apartment renters.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Bear kill on I-4 in Orlando is region’s fourth in less than two weeks.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Gov. DeSantis says Trump can override the Air Force to bring Space Command to Florida.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “A self-driving 18-wheeler was tested on the Florida Turnpike earlier this month.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Florida’s Dixie Dharma places in top 10 in PETA’s Vegan Hot Dogs of 2019.” – Orlando Weekly
- [PAYWALL] “Next housing trend could be the “build for rent” subdivision.” – GrowthSpotter
- [PAYWALL] “Legoland Florida gets new owner: Lego family/Blackstone Group joint venture.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “2,000 SF+ unit in the Milk District asking $355,000.”
- “Beautifully upgraded pool home in Baldwin Park asking $825,000.”
- “Cute College Park 2/1 asking $318,000.”
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Monday 7/1: Movie Monday – The Hangover (Milk District)
- Wednesday 7/3: Hourglass Brewing Grand Opening (Hourglass)
- Wednesday 7/3: Lucky Lure 6 Year Anniversary (Ivanhoe Village)
- Thursday 7/4: Fireworks at the Fountain (Downtown)
- Thursday 7/4: Red, White, and Brew Block Party (Wall Street)