SPONSORED by Orange County Library System: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Our latest episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1 has been podcasted and is available HERE, and was recorded at Digress Wines in College Park after our super-awesome Blind Wine Tasting event.
Tell your friends how to get our Top Ten roundup in their inbox every Monday morning by signing up for our free newsletter.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- The Girl Scouts just got a great big grant to start a Women’s History and Cultural Center in Colonialtown and we’re living for it.
- Pro Bowl 2020 is coming back to Orlando.
- We found plans that were filed to transform this Marathon Gas Station in Audubon Park into a coffee shop.
- The creators of the original Yum Yum Cupcake Truck are back in town and opening a restaurant for the plant-curious.
- There’s a two-district-wide Woodstock tribute festival coming to Orlando this week called ‘Hoodstock.
- Ace Cafe is finally entering the second phase of their build-out with the addition of an outdoor beer garden.
- Have you been to The District Gastrobar in Parramore yet? It’s fancy and right by the soccer stadium.
- “Surprising absolutely no one, Orlando rents are getting higher.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Move the Florida capital to Orlando area? One state senator is trying yet again.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Delaney Tavern poised to open in SODO.” – Scott Joseph’s Orlando Restaurant Guide
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “The future of the city doesn’t have to be childless.” – Brookings.edu
- “Ask Bungalower: What’s moving into the old salon on Alden in Ivanhoe?” – Bungalower
- “Creative Village adding meterless paid parking spaces to downtown campus.” – Bungalower
- “Urban Thinkscape – Transforming cityscapes into opportunities for playful learning.” – DevelopingChild.Harvard.edu
- “Actor Gary Sinise in Orlando to send 28 veterans to the National World War II Museum.” – FOX 35
- “Arts groups wrong to air grievances with Dr. Phillips Center.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Camping World Stadium $60 million renovation could bolster World Cup bid.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Florida great egrets are getting hit by paintballs.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Here’s how to get free beer at Orlando’s theme parks.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Orlando’s Taste of Chengdu to open second location in Baldwin Park.” – Orlando Weekly
- “When a laundromat becomes a library.” – PBS
- “Orlando Pride defender Toni Pressley diagnosed with breast cancer.” – ProSoccer USA
- “Missing former pastor found safe, Orlando police say.” – WESH 2
- “Apartment Highlight: The Princeton at College Park.”
- Check out this BONUS EPISODE of “Bungalower and The Bus” with Jason Reynolds of Orange County’s Neighborhood Services Division.
- “Bungalower and The Bus” voted Third Best Local Podcast by Orlando Magazine readers.
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Tuesday 8/13: Permaculture Movie Night (Audubon Park)
- Wednesday 8/14: Orlando City vs. Sporting Kansas (Parramore)
- Wednesday 8/14: Wine Tasting – Under Blindfold benefitting Lighthouse Central Florida (College Park)
- Thursday 8/15: L’Histoire du Soldat at Timucua White House (SODO)
- Thursday 8/15-19: HoodSTOCK in tribute to 1969 (Ivanhoe Village)
- Friday 8/16: Kameron Michaels at Parliament House (West Orlando)
- Friday 8/16: Snap! Space presents Le Salon (Mills 50)