The City of Winter Park is considering the acquisition of the downtown United States Post Office Building, located at 300 N. New York Avenue [GMap].
The acquisition would facilitate the future expansion of Central Park’s West Meadow, a discussion that has been taking place since 2010 but stalled in January 2015 when talks with the United States Post Office ceased.
The possible purchase will be discussed at a City Commission Workshop on Monday, October 14, where topics to be covered will include:
- Keeping the retail portion of the post office in the Central Business District (CBD).
- Moving the distribution portion of the post office outside of the CBD.
- Protecting the character of the CBD by controlling future use of the property.
- Improving connectivity and encourage the development of incompatible buildings on New York Avenue.
- Is there a history of community support?
Again, the purpose of the discussion is to see if the Commission would like to pursue an attempt to purchase the property. There are no firm plans in place at this time. However, our friends from the Old Florida blog wrote about this back in 2009 and you can read all about the plans they had back then by clicking HERE. The post contains some added context as to the significance of the Tampa artist who created the mural on the building, Joe Testa-Secca.
Scroll down to get a better idea of the property in question as well as the agenda documents from the October 14 meeting.