SPONSORED by Orange County Library System: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Our latest episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1 has been podcasted and is available HERE.
We’ve also launched a new drive-in movie series with Enzian Theater and the first one is taking place in Curry Ford West this Friday. Tickets are sold out but if you’re a Bungalower Buddy member you’ll get first dibs on the other three events before they’re made public.
We also just launched a Bungalower Pinterest page that currently houses a roundup of our awesome locally-inspired recipes, murals, ideas for a friendlier front yard, and more.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- You can park for free downtown right now, thanks to the efforts of the Community Redevelopment Agency and it’s “Park DTO” program.
- There’s been a rise in graffiti and tagging over the pandemic and Keep Orlando Beautiful is handing out Adopt-A-Spot kits so residents can clean up their own neighborhoods.
- Restaurants are open and spilling their seating out into the streets and nearby greenspaces but we’ve got a roundup of some of your best patio options so you don’t have to eat your meal in a parking lot.
- The team at Orlando Sentinel finally have their union.
- There’s a new craft liquor store opening downtown in the former Hubbly Bubbly space.
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis has extended the moratorium on evictions through the end of the month.
- The City of Orlando has canceled the Fourth of July Fireworks event at Lake Eola.
- “MLS proposing all 26 teams come to Orlando to resume season this summer.” – Houston Chronicle
- “Some downtown Orlando bars comply with Phase 1 orders, while others reopen using ‘loopholes‘” – Orlando Weekly
- “Pulse memorial mural at the LGBT+ Center Orlando vandalized with white supremacist stickers.” –Orlando Weekly
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Governor reopens salons and barbershops with certain restrictions.” – Bungalower
- “Orange County handing out free PPE to local businesses.” – Bungalower
- “Orange County Library System begins reopening branches.” – Bungalower
- “Orange County lifts curfew.” – Bungalower
- “Need more public space? Maybe cities already have it.” – CityLab
- “Vice President Pence to visit Orlando on Wednesday.” – Click Orlando
- “Our cities may never look the same again after the pandemic.” – CNN
- “Paul Cocksedge designs social-distancing picnic blanket for life after lockdown.” – Dezeen.com
- “Orlando seeing an increase in graffiti during stay-at-home order.” – FOX 35
- “Managing public space in the ‘new normal.’” – Gehl
- “Public Space plays vital role in pandemic.” – Gehl
- “A tale of two cities: how New York police enforce social distancing by the color of your skin.” – The Guardian
- “Orlando restaurants give preview of new normal on Mother’s Day.” The Hill
- “‘Get used to it’: Guests flock to Universal Citywalk on reopening weekend.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “I-Drive attractions ask to be treated like restaurants and be allowed to reopen.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Rich Evans of Total Punk, Mayhem on Mills and Golden Pelicans is leaving Orlando this week.” – Orlando Weekly
- [PAYWALL] “Orlando is reopening. Persuading tourists to come back is harder.” – The Wall Street Journal