SPONSORED by the Orange County Library System: This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Our latest episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1 has been podcasted and is available HERE.
And we just launched a new Buy Local-ish Keyholder program for our Bungalower Buddies that you need to check out ASAP!
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- The folks over at Orlando Sentinel made the decision to end their Mugshot Gallery series because they’ve come to realize, “… that without context, the galleries have little journalistic value and may have reinforced negative stereotypes.”
- J.C. Penney announced that it will close the Fashion Square Mall location.
- Plans were just submitted to build a new dog bar in Ivanhoe Village.
- We’ve only got one more drive-in movie ready and it’s happening this week at Ace Cafe Orlando.
- The newly-opened Belanger Bagels will be selling its Montreal-style goodies at Eola General, replacing the recently-booted Swan City Bagels.
- The board at Orlando Ballet is looking for a new Executive Director, again.
- “Amazon to open 4-Star store at local mall.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Proper & Wild, Sanctum Cafe roiled by harassment complaints against co-owner Jamie Savage.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Sexual harassment allegations against owner of Sanctum Cafe and Proper & Wild rattle Orlando restaurant community.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Gate demolished at Art and History Museums – Maitland.” – The Daily City
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Enzian to open theater with Alfred Hitchcock Week.” – Bungalower
- “Orlando Science Center reopening on June 15.” – Bungalower
- “Kiwi’s Pub in Altamonte Springs closes after COVID-19 cases.” – Click Orlando
- “Race, wealth and public spaces: US beaches are a new flashpoint of the lockdown.” – The Guardian
- “Coronagrifting: A design phenomenon.” – McMansion Hell
- “How cities are using ‘streateries’ to help restaurants recover.” – Medium
- “DeSantis says coronavirus spike is coming among younger age groups more likely to survive the disease.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Seminole restaurant closes after 6 customers test positive for coronavirus.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Florida Rep. Darren Soto announces legislation to designate Pulse a national memorial.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Street vendors left out of reopening plans amid coronavirus.” – Salud America!
- “Earl finalizes purchase of Brio and Bravo brands.” – Scott Joseph’s Orlando Restaurant Guide
- “Thinking Outside: Libraries and placemaking in pandemic times.” – WebJunction
- “‘We have to do a better job telling our story’: Orlando police chief talks use of force, police unions and proposed policy changes.” – WFTV
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Friday 6/19-21: Renninger’s Massive Yard Sale (Out of Bounds)
- Monday 6/15: An Evening with Madeleine Albright (Online)
- Tuesday 6/16: Planting a Food Forest on a Shoestring Budget (Online)
- Thursday 6/18: On The Spot Art Exhibition (Online)
- Thursday 6/18: Third Thursday in the Pines (Winter Park)
- Friday 6/19: A Master Class With David Adjaye (Online)
- Friday 6/19: Black Friday Orlando – Juneteenth 2020 (Orlando)
- Friday 6/19: Drive-in Move – Raiders of the Lost Ark (Downtown)
- Friday 6/19: Food Pop-up – Pizza Bruno (Milk District)
- Friday 6/19: Juneteenth Black Lives Matter Silent Demonstration (Downtown)