This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Our latest episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1 was recorded at Rachel’s North where we tried the strip bar’s new menu which was created by MX Taco’s Bryan Manning. Click HERE to listen or catch up on one of your favorite podcast platforms or just scroll down a bit and listen to it here!
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- Our Mayhem on Mills wrestling event was amazing and the best kick-off we could have asked for at our new pop-up event space, Carlotta’s Culture Park, in the Mills 50 District. Want to sponsor the next one? Email us at [email protected]
- The milk crate furniture we made with The Milk District just won a major design award.
- The City of Winter Park is looking at purchasing property along Fairbanks to add more parking for their new library and events center. The only problem is, there are some pretty popular local businesses that would be displaced by the move.
- White Castle hit the pause button on its local ghost kitchen until after its Disney-area restaurant has opened to take off some of the pressure. Orlando really likes White Castle sliders, apparently.
- The long-awaited Orlando location of Out of the Closet is now open in Mills 50 and 96 cents of every dollar raised through its vintage shop will go towards the AIDS Healthcare Foundation.
- The Orange County Regional History Center has named Pamela Schwartz as its new executive director and we hurt our hands while clapping as loudly as we could when we heard the news. We can’t wait to see what sort of magic she works in this new role.
- Enzian Theater just added a fancy new HVAC unit that kills microbes with science.
- “A pox on all their houses.” – Florida Politics
- “As demolition begins, some plans for the former Orlando Sentinel property are revealed.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orlando among top cities with highest rates of same-sex households.” – Watermark
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Mooby’s releases location of upcoming Orlando pop-up.” – Bungalower
- “New sushi restaurant now open in Thornton Park.” – Bungalower
- “Page 15 hosting 9th annual high school writing contest.” – Bungalower
- “Uber Eats launches new restaurant grant program.” – Bungalower
- “Winter Park hosting transportation workshop on Orange Avenue Overlay.” – Bungalower
- “Former President Trump to speak at CPAC in Orlando for first post-White House appearance.” – Channel 6 South Florida
- “After years of speculation, Disney finally confirms the biggest celebration in WDW history.” – Orlando Weekly
- “New travel guide showcases the South’s embrace of civil rights tourism, but Florida is left out.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Portillo’s postpones opening of new Orlando restaurant.” – Spectrum News 13
- “More vaccines available at Convention Center; FEMA to open mass vaccination site in Orlando.” – WESH 2
- [PAYWALL] “OCPS to pilot later start times, flexible schedules at three high schools.” – Orlando Sentinel
- [PAYWALL] “Orlando City player arrested in Osceola, accused of sexual assault.” – Orlando Sentinel
- [PAYWALL] “Orange County approves $2 million to diversify economy amid COVID-19 recovery.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “3/2 Pool home asking $320,000.”
- “3/3 Pool home in Maitland asking $668,000.”
- “3/1 Winter Park home asking $399,000.”
- “A Baltimore artist has painted dozens of salt boxes across the city. Take a look at some of our favorites.” – The Baltimore Sun
- “The creative repurposing of plywood from boarded-up stores.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “To create more affordable housing, make zoning hyperlocal.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Biden’s transportation department could be great for cities.” – CityMonitor
- “You’ve probably seen snowmen everywhere. Montreal’s running a contest to find the best ones.” – Montreal Gazette
- “Explore 15 parks honoring Black history.” – The Trust for Public Land
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Monday 3/1: First Watch Winter Park – Grand Opening (Winter Park)
- Tuesday 3/2: Taffy’s Bungalower Bingo (Downtown)
- Wednesday 3/3: What’s Up Downtown – Empowerment of Black Entrepreneurs (ONLINE)
- Thursday 3/4: 2021 Central Florida Fair (Out of Bounds)
- Thursday 3/4: Front Porch Series – Cat Ridgeway and The Tourists (Milk District)
- Thursday 3/4: First Thursdays – Bella Donna (Ivanhoe Village)
- Friday 3/5: 2021 Thundering Spirit Family Pow Wow (Out of Bounds)
- Friday 3/5: City Art Jam – 2021 Jersey Unveil (Downtown)