Editor’s Note: Bungalower Buddy Keyholders can now get early access to their Top Ten Things roundup via their online Pico membership. The Top Ten Things will be made public on Mondays on our website and via our Top Ten Things e-newsletter.
This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Our latest episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1 was recorded at Jinya Ramen Bar in Thornton Park so we could try their new “dipping noodles.” Click HERE to listen or catch up on one of your favorite podcast platforms or just scroll down a bit and listen to it here! And don’t forget to read our March print issue while you still can!
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- Tickets are now on sale for the upcoming Southern Fried Sunday 15th Anniversary concert at our outdoor pop-up venue, Carlotta’s Culture Park.
- A new tiki/karaoke bar has opened downtown in the former Joysticks Arcade Lounge space.
- Rollins College was just given $3 million for a new theater building to replace the historic one they tore down in 2018.
- The Florida Film Festival just released its lineup for the 2021 festival. We’ve included the trailers for some of the films that we think look the most interesting too.
- The Abbey is hosting a walkabout murder mystery parody show inspired by The Office.
- The City of Orlando just launched a WiFi hotspot and tablet checkout program.
- CFC Arts is hosting a production of Cinderella in the Fashion Square Mall.
- “With or without me, Florida will always be wonderfully, unrelentingly weird | Opinion.” – Miami Herald
- “The average single adult in Orlando doesn’t have enough to cover their bills, per report.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orange County will go ahead with vaccinations of people 40 and over, in spite of new rules from the state of Florida.” – Orlando Weekly
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Cool Job Alert: Orlando-based viral YouTubers looking to hire new junk food TikTok chef.” – Bungalower
- “Orlando firefighters host monthly storytime series.” – Bungalower
- “Wall Crawl launches StudioScholarship program for local creators.” – Bungalower
- “19 fish camps that will give you a delicious taste of old Florida.” – Orlando Weekly
“Orlando’s Park Lake/Highland named among the best neighborhoods in the United States.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Gordon Ramsey restaurant coming to Orlando, records show.” – Spectrum News 13
- “Donating, volunteering, reporting hate incidents: Here’s how to help combat anti-Asian violence.” – TIME
- [PAYWALL] “As Pepe adapts to the times, creator Rob Ward feels energized, not ‘canceled.‘” – Orlando Sentinel
- [PAYWALL] “Homebuyers are heading to Florida during COVID, but nearly as many are moving out.” – The Wall Street Journal
- “The local policies that will outlast the pandemic.” – Bloomberg City Lab
- “Why ‘activity centers’ are the building blocks of inclusive regional economies.” – Brookings
- “The path to the post-COVID City.” – Financial Times
- “‘Sometimes the answer is to do nothing’: unflashy French duo take architecture’s top prize.” – The Guardian
- “If you look at your phone while walking, you’re an agent of chaos.” – The New York Times
- “HUD: Growth of homelessness during 2020 was ‘devastating,’ even before the pandemic.” – NPR
- “A historic housing crisis has America in its grip. Can Marcia Fudge save the day?” – USA Today
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Tuesday 3/23: History in a Glass – Rosy Orlando (ONLINE)
- Tuesday 3/23: Taffy’s Bungalower Bingo (Downtown)
- Wednesday 3/24: Wind Beneath Our Wings – Remarkable Rehabilitation (ONLINE)
- Thursday 3/25: Bourbon and Blooms – Opening Night Reception (Ivanhoe Village)
- Thursday 3/25: Controversial Public Art in NYC (ONLINE)
- Thursday 3/25: SoDo Women Spotlight – A Women’s Month Celebration (SoDo)
- Thursday 3/25: The Office! A Murder Mystery Parody (Thornton Park)
- Friday 3/26: Barley and Blooms (Ivanhoe Village)
- Friday 3/26: Movies on Mills – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II – Secret of the Ooze Pizza Party (Mills 50)