This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed. And don’t forget to grab our latest print issue while you’re out and about in The City Beautiful.
Our latest episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1 was recorded at Peterbrooke Chocolatier in Winter Park to eat some sweets and invited Bungalower’s official dentist, Dr. David Sutton from Dapper Dental to keep us in check. Click HERE to listen, or catch up on one of your favorite podcast platforms, or just click play on the button below.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- The City of Winter Park jumped on board the COVID water conservation train this week.
- A new theater and performance venue is opening in Ivanhoe Village across from the former home of Theater Downtown.
- VIDEO: Gatlin Hall Brewing is finally open south of downtown and it’s pretty impressive.
- Perla’s Pizza has reopened under a new name and they added a pizza with clams. Because they can.
- VIDEO: Brendan took a trip to the UCF Bug Closet, which is exactly what it sounds like … a closet full of bugs. Amazing.
- Our last scheduled Bungalower Bingo night at Persimmon Hollow is this Tuesday.
- There’s a box full of free sticks in this Milk District park.
- “The LGBTQ+ businesses in Orlando worth planning a trip around.” – Conde Nast Traveler
- “In Memoriam: WMFE, his family and friends say goodbye to former CEO and founder Steve Steck.” – 90.7 WMFE
- “Hospitalizations drop in Orlando amid water crisis from oxygen shortage.” – Forbes
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Poor data collection prevents study of Orlando PD from addressing key question of racial disparity.” 90.7 WMFE
- “Survey: 68 Florida hospitals have less than 48 hours worth of oxygen.” – 90.7 WMFE
- “Annual Main Street party returns next month to Virginia Drive.” – Bungalower
- “Cool Job Alert: Executive Director of Edible Education Experience.” – Bungalower
- “Orlando police in final stages of upgrading body cameras for all officers.” – Click Orlando
- “A Tesla Model 3 hit a parked police car in Orlando, driver said she was ‘in Autopilot.’” – CNBC
- “Visit Orlando reveals ‘bold’ new plan to recover and reach 80M tourists by 2024.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Four Orlando Pride players named to SportsPro’s 40 Most Marketable Athletes list.” – Orlando City SC
- “At show 1,000, Orlando’s most unique concert hall is poised for bigger future.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Forget feeding needy kids. Florida is busy fighting over masks and transgender sports | Commentary.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Unruly passengers on Orlando flights figure high amid $1 million in FAA fines for hostile incidents.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “How to spend 48 hours in Orlando with no theme parks.” – Tampa Bay Times
- “1/1 Downtown condo at Solaire asking $249,000.”
- “Renovated 4/3 home in Wadeview Park asking $615,000.”
- “3/2 Harbour Island pool home asking $499,000.”
- “3/3 College Park home asking $475,000.”
- “In a warming world, consider the mist garden.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Where will the eviction wave hit? Follow the Big Landlords.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Pyramid Scheme: Critics question why transit spaces are’hostile’ to humans.” – The City
- “A napping corner in Hudson Square (that’s also a playscape and lunch spot), this is the curbside architecture New York City needs.” – Curbed New York
- “How an $8 million pop-up park turned into an utter fiasco.” – Fast Company
- “‘Coming full circle’: Native tapped to lead national parks.” – Indian Country Today
- “Offices dangle beehives and garden plots to coax workers back.” – The New York Times
- “A half-pipe dream of public space.” – Now Lebanon
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Monday 8/30: Remembrance Concert for Matthew Joseph McCarthy (Mills 50)
- Monday 8/30: Sake – The Alcohol of Japan (Out of Bounds)
- Tuesday 8/31: Final Taffy’s Bungalower Bingo at Persimmon Hollow (Downtown)
- Tuesday 8/31: Meet the Filmmaker – Lydia Lunch: The War is Never Over (Maitland)
- Tuesday 8/31: Tasty Takeover (Milk District)
- Friday 9/3: FAVO Art Show Weekend (Park Lake Highland)
- Friday 9/3: LOVESONG a Tribute to The Cure (South Eola)