This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Click HERE to listen to the 256th episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded via Zoom while Brendan recovers from COVID-19. Please excuse the audio quality.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- Stonewall Bar in Parramore has closed.
- Brendan got on a soapbox for a rare editorial on “How not to kill Orlando as we grow.”
- It may be because there’s a new Matrix film out but Orlando is leaning into the Metaverse and getting a “digital twin.”
- A fancy new concept is being built out in the former home of Chela Tequila and Tacos in downtown Orlando.
- Lil500 Go Karts has closed in Maitland.
- A new pizza kitchen is opening in SoDo that will specialize in both Detroit and Chicago-style pizzas and it’ll share a dining room with Tin and Taco.
- Popular Mexican food truck, Quesa Loco, is opening a new brick-and-mortar on Fairbanks.
- “Florida issues new COVID testing guidance. Here’s what you need to know.” – Click Orlando
- “City of Orlando to open free COVID-19 testing site at Camping World Stadium on Monday.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Golden Corral site on Colonial Drive may be redeveloped into student housing.” – GrowthSpotter
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Cool Job Alert: Public Information Manager at Orlando Police Department.” – Bungalower
- “Frida Kahlo-themed art show heading to Leu Gardens.” – Bungalower
- “Here’s how the new I-4 express toll lanes work.” – Click Orlando
- “Orlando restaurants, bars dealing with staffing shortages due to COVID-19.” – FOX 35
- “Power outage hits Walt Disney World.” – FOX 35
- “Bubbalou’s Bodacious Bar-B-Que closes its Apopka location.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Fire engine drives through CityWalk as small fire breaks out at Universal Orlando Resort.” – WDW News Today
- “Miss Earth USA delegates remove 400 pounds of trash from Orlando parks.” – West Orlando News
We’ve added a few more deals to our running list of local deals that you can unlock with your Buddy Keychain, y’all!
- Eola Pets (Website) – FREE Say What Dog Cookie AND 10% your in-store purchase.
- Epic Paddle Adventures (Website) – $25 board rental for keyholders (regularly $33) for 4-hour paddle board rental on Lake Ivanhoe. Mention your keychain on the phone when making your reservation and bring it with you when you arrive to prove you’re not a fibber. Walk-ups allowed but you still must have your keychain.
- Joybird Books (Website) – 10% off your purchase.
- Pour Choice Taphouse (Website) – 15% off with your keychain.
- “4/3 Rock Lake home asking $399,990.”
- “3/1 Parramore bungalow asking $290,000.”
- “3/2 College Park home asking $352,000.”
- “The architecture of tomorrow mimics nature to cool the planet.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “That buzz on City rooftops? Beekeeping is going corporate.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “What the pandemic’s open streets really revealed.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “The majority for the first time, women make up most of the City Council.” – New York Curbed
- “There’s one thing we can learn from The Villages’ success.” – New York Curbed
- “Measuring and mapping change around the Atlanta BeltLine.” – Planetizen
- Tuesday 1/11: Bat Building Workshop (ONLINE)
- Thursday 1/13: Popcorn Flicks – “Flight of the Navigator” (Winter Park)
- Thursday 1/13: Unusual Frida Juried Art Show (Audubon Park)
- Friday 1/14: The Grateful Spread at RockPit (SoDo)
- Friday 1/14: Renninger’s Antiques and Collectors Extravaganza (Out of Bounds)
- Friday 1/14: The Rest is Silence – A Shakespearean Thriller (SoDo)