This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Click HERE to listen to the 267th episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at the Copper Rocket in Maitland over a plate of their incredibly delicious Carolina ribs.
TOP TEN HEADLINES:
- Orange County is leaning hard into the Transportation Tax Initiative again and it could be just the boost we need to finally get off that “Worst Cities for Transportation” list.
- Speaking of transportation, now that the City of Orlando finally has control of Virginia Drive, they’re actually going to start fixing it – starting with an interim facelift.
- Pizza Bruno is opening a new pizza restaurant in College Park. We haven’t come up with a funny name for all the pizza restaurants on that stretch yet but we’re open to suggestions.
- Miami’s World Famous House of Mac is coming to Orlando but we’re betting Rihanna and Pitbull won’t visit it as much as the original location.
- Se7enbites and Orange Blossom Brewing are collaborating on a fancy new beer release based on a popular pie.
- Congratulations to Sideward Brewing for celebrating three years of business this weekend!
- “Woman plans to fly passengers to space with balloon.” – Click Orlando
- “Milk District storefront crashes prompt effort to make Robinson Street safer.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orlando agrihood The Grow clears hurdle to development.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Basquiat draws crowds to Orlando Museum of Art, but questions haven’t gone away.” – Orlando Sentinel
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT):
- “Edible Education Experience hosting 5-year anniversary dinner, April 10.” – Bungalower
- “Winter Park’s annual Spring Cleanup dates set for May.” – Bungalower
- “Central Florida wrestler with Down Syndrome gets dream benefit thanks to ‘Influencer.”‘ – FOX 35
- “Orlando Pride apologize for disallowing fans’ banner mentioning word ‘gay’” – The Guardian
- “‘Didn’t you check it?’: Workers heard on viral video discussing teen’s fatal fall in Orlando.” – News 4 JAX
- “The ‘Disney Walkout’ that wasn’t: mass action against ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill fizzles at Walt Disney World.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orlando rapper GAY-Z figures prominently on They Hate Change’s new Jagjaguwar single.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Popular Orlando ice cream shop going cashless after string of break-ins.” – WDBO
- “Publix ending popular free program.” – West Orlando News
- “House of the Day: Condo at The Vue with stunning views asking $519,000.”
- “House of the Day: 3/2 College Park home asking $549,900.”
- “House of the Day: Beautiful 3/3 home asking $700,000.”
- “Downtown needs to change to survive.” The Atlantic
- “10 Ukrainian architects and designers you should know about.” – Azure
- “It’s time to design city parks as mental health infrastructure for everyone.” – Azure
- “As Madrid plans urban forest, citizens fight to plant their own trees.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “$87.50 for 3 Minutes: Inside the hot market for videos of idling trucks.” – The New York Times
- “Detroit plans freeway removal to spur economic development.” – Planetizen
- “Why Christopher Alexander still matters.” – Planetizen
- “America’s Best Bus Stops, Round 1: Natural Wonders.” – StreetsBlog USA
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK:
- Tuesday 3/29: Bad Bunny (Parramore)
- Tuesday 3/29: Taffy’s Birthday Bingo (Downtown)
- Friday 4/1: April Fools Dance Party (Ivanhoe Village)
- Friday 4/1:: FAVO Open Art Studio Nights (Park Lake Highland)
- Friday 4/1: Food Truck Parking Lot Party (SoDo)
- Friday 4/1: Rock and Roll Karaoke hosted by Grizzlee Martin (Maitland)