This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Orange County Commissioners just voted to advance the Transportation Tax to be voted on at the November election.
- Thousands of Orlando residents have applied for COVID rental assistance dollars but only a few hundred have received it.
- Orlando’s favorite karaoke queen, DJ Di, has passed away.
- A local bar operator is looking to open six new concepts in downtown Orlando this summer and they’ll all be immersive and weird.
- The City won’t let the Vegan Hot Dog Cart work the streets anymore so they shacked up with Sly Fox and added burgers to the menu. Stay tuned for their 25th Anniversary party later this month.
- The owner of Chicken Fire just opened a new wing-focused restaurant at the Fort Gatlin plaza and everyone is talking about it.
- Creative City Project is teaming up with Orlando Philharmonic to host a new immersive concert.
- “Kim Kardashian, Pete Davidson vacationed in Orlando ahead of DC trip.” – Page Six
- “Orlando Solar Bears and their head coach part ways.” – WESH 2
- “As Orlando home prices soar, investors buy into Black neighborhoods, sparking concerns.” – Orlando Sentinel
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “Cool Job Alert: Director of Marketing and Communications for Central Florida Foundation.” – Bungalower
- “Lil Nas X brings first headlining tour to Orlando.” – Bungalower
- “Timucua White House announces 2022-2023 season.” – Bungalower
- “Tori Tori hosting block party fundraiser for late chef’s family.” – Bungalower
- “‘Pay it forward:’ Lake County libraries to forgive fines in exchange for food donations.” – Click Orlando
- “Gov. DeSantis plans to pass constitutional carry law.” – FOX 35
- “Updated Boba Map 2022.” – Lemonhearted
- “Best tacos in Orlando.” – The Orlando Real
- “People desperate for appointments camp outside Orlando immigration office into the weekend.” – WESH 2
- “Top 10 restaurants opening in Orlando we found this week.” – What Now Orlando
- “Officials working to address increase in tent cities sprouting up in Orlando.” – WFTV
- “House of the Day: Modern three-bedroom home overlooking Lake Highland Park asking $655,000.”
- “House of the Day: 3/2 Audubon Park home asking $452,500.”
- “Downtown department stores get a residential revival.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Hong Kong’s Star Ferry needs a rescue plan with no tourists in sight.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “To narrow the racial wealth gap, help entrepreneurs of color own property.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Chinatown Night Market is cultural power and preservation.” – Next City
- “The problem with public input.” – Planetizen
- “How to fix a dangerous street in 24 hours or less.” – Strong Towns
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 5/2: OMA Red Carpet Couture (Ivanhoe Village)
- Wednesday 5/4: Dos Hombres Bottle Signing (Downtown)
- Thursday 5/5: Cholo Dogs Beer Release Party (Baldwin Park)
- Thursday 5/5: Cinco on the Street – Cinco de Mayo Street Party (Thornton Park)
- Thursday 5/5: Winter Park Cinco de Mayo Party (Winter Park)
- Friday 5/6: The SpongeBob Musical (Downtown)