This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Click HERE to listen to the 274th episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded with special guest host “Big Tim” Murphy at The Yardery (Website), in Sanford which has some amazing chicken wings, and that fried chicken … damn!
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- The Orlando Economic Partnership has clapped its hands and wiggled its nose and now Orlando is the center of the “Metaverse.” It has something (a lot) to do with the region’s new slogan, “Unbelievably Real.”
- Due to elevated bacteria counts, Winter Park’s Dinky Dock beach is closed to swimming until further notice. There was also a massive fish die-off in Lake Giles. Our lakes could use some love.
- The Bellhop is finally open in downtown Orlando’s historic Angebilt Hotel and you need to check it out for your Insta. Because it is stunning.
- Winter Park’s Cafe de France has closed and popular East End Market stalwart, Farm & Haus, has already announced its plan to move in.
- SoDough Square, the new Detroit-style pizza shop in SoDo, has opened and you need to go right now.
- This corner unit in downtown Orlando’s Star Tower is asking $655,000.
- Congratulations to the Edgewater High School rowing team for making it to Nationals! They need to raise some funds for the trip so use the links in the story to find out how to donate if you’re able.
- Friends and family of the departed Singhaus Clan have launched a new scholarship program in their honor for local creatives looking for help with arts and cultural careers and projects. Need a new sewing machine? This could be for you.
- “Orlando chef Josh Oakley leaving The Monroe.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Farm & Haus to open a second location in the Cafe de France space on Park Avenue in Winter Park.” – Orlando Weekly
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “Universal Orlando’s Monsters Cafe has permanently closed.” – Bloody Disgusting
- “Ask Bungalower: What’s this new bike path that popped-up in Audubon.” – Bungalower
- “Call to Artists: Submissions open for Sculpture on the Lawn 2023.” – Bungalower
- “Live jazz band to play music from Cowboy Bebop at The Geekeasy on May 22.” – Bungalower
- “Orlando is getting a new police chief.” – Bungalower
- “Taste of Chengdu to reopen its West Colonial restaurant, finally.” – Bungalower
- “VIDEO: Only one month left for Flying Horse Editions show at Mennello Museum.” – Bungalower
- “How much has FDOT collected in tolls from Interstate 4 Express Lanes?” – FOX 35
- “Former Orlando Magic player Adreian Payne shot, killed in Orlando.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Gay firefighter sues City of Orlando Fire Department for discrimination, harassment.” – Watermark
- “Turkey’s biggest city falls victim to Cold War with Erdogan.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Why did U.S. cities Resegregate?” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Miami return to parking minimums a mystery to housing advocates.” – Planetizen
- “Why a third of private garages don’t house cars.” – Planetizen
- “4 Key rules for getting more housing where you live.” – Strong Towns
- “Extreme heat is a disease for cities. Treat it that way.” – Wired
- “Online shopping is reshaping real-world cities.” – Wired
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 5/16-5/22: American Craft Beer Week (Milk District)
- Monday 5/16: In-Between Series – Syoma Klochko (Downtown)
- Tuesday 5/17-5/30: Orlando Fringe (Ivanhoe Village)
- Wednesday 5/18: Orlando YIMBY Social (Milk District)
- Thursday 5/19-5/22: MegaCon Orlando 2022 (Out of Bounds)
- Thursday 5/19: 3rd Thursday Gallery Hop (Downtown)
- Thursday 5/19: A Very Normal Podcast Tour – Annual Pass and Super Carlin Brothers (Downtown)
- Friday 5/20: Opening Reception – Corpus Delicti (Maitland)