This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s Bungalow Neighborhood news, and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Click HERE to listen to the 277th episode of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at the Gay Days Expo on International Drive with our friends from Ben Laube Homes (Instagram | Website).
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Thanks to a SoDo taco restaurant leading the charge, other small restaurants in three Orlando Main Streets can now apply for liquor licenses, which they previously would have been too tiny to qualify for.
- Orlando City Council is considering a recommended plan to retool some of its districts.
- The Orlando Museum of Art just opened its blockbuster 2022 Florida Prize exhibition on Friday.
- Orlando Brewing just announced not one, but two new locations on the eve of departing its longtime home in the SoDo District.
- Celebrate Filipino Freedom Fest at East End Market on June 11 and 12 with some amazing local businesses and vendors.
- Join Bungalower and Milk District at the upcoming UN World Environment Day litter cleanup event and get a free taco!
- Rollins College is pumping the brakes on its free bike-share program.
- “What really happened to Alexandre Pato.” – The Players’ Tribune
- “Central Florida is hotspot of state’s meningitis outbreak.” – WESH 2
- “Deputies looking for Orlando bank robber they say was out of prison for just one day.” – WFTV 9
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “College Park-adjacent hotel to become affordable housing.” – Bungalower
- “Cool Job Alert: Production Manager at Hard Rock Live.” – Bungalower
- “House of the Day: 4/4 David Weekley home on Hourglass Lake asking $989,000.” – Bungalower
- “Local ‘Luminary’ shortlist progresses to City Council.” – Bungalower
- “PR’s Taco Palace closing briefly for renovations.” – Bungalower
- “Special Olympics to kick off on June 5th.” – Bungalower
- “Orange County rent price issues likely outside of local rent control, study finds.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Orange County’s April resort tax collections hit highest amount for that month ever.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “A Seminole County woman was kicked out of a Christian rehab for kissing another woman.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Bite30 2022 offers $33 three-course meals at more than 30 top Orlando restaurants.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orlando International Airport has new dining options coming.” – The Points Guy
- “New arts initiative by SITU and Design Trust for Public Space builds architectural kit-of-parts for public cultural venues.” – Archinect
- “Vancouver appoints official to manage homelessness in city parks.” – The Globe and Mail
- “America’s most influential protest art was quietly removed. Here’s what should have happened instead.” – Next City
- “How ‘hostile design’ creates unwelcoming spaces.” – Planetizen
- “Can we make Manila more walkable?” – Vice
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Tuesday, 5/7: Taffy’s Bungalower Bingo (Baldwin Park)
- Wednesday 5/8: Art Alfresco – A Conversation with Carole (Out of Bounds)
- Wednesday 5/8: Hot Mess – Politics and Journalism in Florida (Winter Park)
- Wednesday 5/8: Orlando Story Club – Yassssss Queen (Downtown
- Thursday 5/9: Boarding, Books, and Beer, with Bungalower and The Bus (Ivanhoe Village)
- Friday 5/10: A Britney Spears Dance Party (Mills 50)
- Friday 5/10: Food Truck Parking Lot Party (SoDo)