This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods,” and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Click HERE to listen to the 290th episode of Bungalower and The Bus on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at Deadwords Brewing for the first in a three-month residency, where they’ll be hanging out on the first Thursday of each month. Also, holler to everyone who voted for us in Orlando Weekly‘s Best Of contest!
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- The City is pushing back its timetable for the Under-i urban park in downtown Orlando – though just to 2024 (not 2204 like a typo in our original article may have suggested).
- YMCA of Central Florida is hosting Free Fridays throughout September and residents can go to any local YMCA to enjoy free access to workshops, pools, gyms, and more.
- Creative City Project is bringing back the super popular inflatable photo op maze, Airplay, next month. It’s like an inflatable Martian cathedral that you can’t bounce on.
- Enzian is hosting a special David Bowie movie marathon this month.
- Tickets for the annual Cows ‘n Cabs event in Winter Park are now on sale. Insider tip, only dress as a cow if you want drunk strangers to touch your udders.
- Dancer’s Royale was just recognized as Best Adult Nightclub in the South.
- Bungalower and The Bus co-host Jon Busdeker won the Real Radio Charity Poker Tournament while wearing a tank top. Because miracles happen every day.
- “An Orlando Museum’s disputed Basquiats are gone. Its leadership is, too.” – The New York Times
- “Florida Main Street Districts spur growth.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Spotlight: Swamburger leaves Orlando after 20 years of art and advocacy.” – 90.7 WMFE
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “As housing costs rise, HUD increases its estimate for Orlando’s Fair Market Rent by 14%.” – 90.7 WMFE
- “Winter Park Parks and Rec Director gives update on Progress Point.” – The 32789
- “Orlando Museum of Art leaders resign amid scandal over allegedly fake Basquiats.” – The Art Newspaper
- “Catalina Elementary School looking for donations for Kindergarten Biking Program.” – Bungalower
- “Orange County hires new Chief Sustainability Officer.” – Bungalower
- ‘Swirlery Wine Bar celebrating 7 years of business next month.” – Bungalower
- “Winter Park installing historic marker at Casa Feliz.” – Bungalower
- “One killed after wild winds flip small plane at Orlando airport.” – New York Post
- “Events, ‘local tourism’ drive foot traffic for Orlando’s trendy Ivanhoe Village district.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Arrest made in alleged Goff’s Drive In arson.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Ousted Orlando Museum of Art trustees say they were misled in months before Basquiat raid.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Suspiciously neat ‘Eat Shit Fascists’ graffiti sprayed on Seminole County GOP headquarters.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Renovated townhouse by Lake Ivanhoe asking $675,000.”
- “3/1 Pineloch home asking $293,900.”
- “Cute 3/2 Greenwood home asking $469,900.”
- “A pop-up marketplace energizes an empty corner of Prague.” – Azure
- “California law lets cities eject people who disrupt public meetings.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Urban migration slows in 2022 for many major US cities.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “What cities can learn from venture capital.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “The future of ground-floor retail.” – Planetizen
- “The Netherlands is building an ark for its bees.” – Reasons To Be Cheerful
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Tuesday 9/6: Bungalower Drag Bingo at Tactical Brewing (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 9/6: Fall Swap Shop at Ivanhoe Park Brewing (Ivanhoe Village)
- Wednesday 9/7: Historic Florida Get Together and Book Launch (Downtown)
- Thursday 9/8: The Brutalist Beer Showcase at A La Cart (Milk District)
- Thursday 9/8: Popcorn Flicks in the Park – “Splash” (Winter Park)
- Thursday 9/8: September Art Show featuring Jeff Jones (Mills 50)
- Friday 9/9: Figurehead Opening Bash (Downtown)