This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods,” and some bonus headlines you may have missed.
Click HERE to listen to the 293rd episode of Bungalower and The Bus on Real Radio 104.1 which was recorded at the newly opened The Classic – Thornton Park, next to Burton’s Bar.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- City Hall is considering updating what is and isn’t a nightclub and it could have some very serious impacts on the local restaurant and nightlife scene.
- Two people were shot in downtown Orlando last Sunday and a TikToker with 5 million followers told everyone to stay away for the foreseeable future because it’s too dangerous.
- There’s a new retail shop open on Colonial Drive that specializes in all things horror and horror movie. They even have selfie corners and vintage goodies.
- A mural that was covered up by construction will live on in an Augmented Reality app.
- The Mills 50 Main Street was just named as a semifinalist for the Great American Main Street Award, mostly due to its public art programming efforts.
- We’ve got the renderings for the new French-Vietnamese restaurant that’s opening in Baldwin Park and it’s going to be so very, very pretty.
- Pop-up darlings and probable dark arts practitioners Black Magic Pizza are opening a brick-and-mortar in the SoDo District, right next door to RockPit Brewing.
- Mennello Museum’s Indie-Folkfest returns on October 8 and we’re giving away a picnic survival kit on our Instagram.
- “Will Hurricane Ian hit Orlando? Here’s the latest forecast track.” – Sun Sentinel
- “Gov. DeSantis declares state of emergency for 24 Florida counties amid Tropical Storm Ian.” – FOX 35
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “How a loyal customer is serving his favorite restaurant.” – The 32789
- “49th annual Winter Park Autumn Art Festival coming on October 8.” – Bungalower
- “Ivanhoe Park Brewing celebrating 4th Anniversary next month.” – Bungalower
- “New eco-friendly retail shop now open in Ivanhoe Village.” – Bungalower
- “Packing District is getting its own dog park.” – Bungalower
- “Wall Street’s SideShow is now Fixtion.” – Bungalower
- “15 Standout sushi restaurants in Orlando.” – Eater Miami
- “Club worker shot in downtown Orlando shooting wants more security.” – FOX 35
- “VIDEO: Florida woman suspected of DUI crashes into 3 Orlando police officers, report says.” – FOX 35
- “Report: Florida lawmaker expects DeSantis vs. Disney Reedy Creek solution in “near future.”’ – Orlando Business Journal
- “Amazon Fresh grocery store planned for Maitland shopping center.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Just a short drive from Orlando, Tampa now has a magic mushroom dispensary.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orlando ballroom dancer loses legs after severe case of meningitis.” – WESH 2
- “Lake Adair’s sprawling Villa Rosa asking $3,200,000.”
- “2/1 College Park cutie asking $334,900.”
- “4/3 Conway home wants $487,000.”
- “China’s digital nomads trade mega-cities for backpacker havens.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “A global push for more ’15-minute cities.’” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Reducing poverty without community displacement: Indicators of inclusive prosperity in U.S. neighborhoods.” – Brookings
- “‘This is what a river should look like’: Dutch rewilding project turns back the clock 500 years.” – The Guardian
- “Campus Marius: The catalyst for the transformation of downtown Detroit.” – Social Life Project
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- ALL WEEK: Global Peace Week 2022 (Multiple Venues)
- Monday 9/26: Syoma Klochko Presents A Protean Assemlage (Mills 50)
- Tuesday 9/27: Joyner Lucas at The Beacham (Downtown)
- Wednesday 9/28: When Walls Talk – Decoding A Building’s History (ONLINE)
- Thursday 9/29: Milton Nascimento at DPAC (Downtown)
- Friday 9/30: Brew and View – Hocus Pocus 2 (Ivanhoe Village)
- Friday 9/30: Hocus Pocus 2 Viewing Party at Savoy (Ivanhoe Village)