This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.” Click HERE to listen to Episode 305 of Bungalower and The Bus on Real Radio 104.1, recorded at Leu Gardens for the Creative City Project’s Dazzling Nights installation.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- Elon Musk has banned a local UCF student from Twitter for tracking his private plane using publicly accessible data and is now threatening legal action.
- Local space-jumping/falling hero, Colonel Joe Kittinger, has passed away.
- The Mayor’s State of Downtown was held last week, both in-person and in the Metaverse, and here are the highlights.
- The beloved former bar, Oblivion Taproom, has been transformed into a new Korean barbecue restaurant.
- A lot has happened in Orlando in the last one hundred years, but one constant has been the Orange County Library System, which started as a humble two-story Albertson Public Library and has grown to a network of 15 branches. OCLS will be hosting a 100-year celebration kick-off party at the downtown branch on January 7, 2023.
- Orlando Weekly had a tough pandemic and its staff has been reduced dramatically over the years. They’re looking to hire a new Digital Content Editor and we think they need a real champion. Is it you?
- Baldwin Park is adding 230 new apartments near its town center in its ongoing quest to be one of the densest, most walkable neighborhood in Orlando.
- “Gang-related crime causing major issues in Orlando, authorities say.” – FOX 35
- “Sweeping property insurance reform passes through Florida Legislature.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Central Florida 100: The COVID grand jury and the home-insurance special session.” – Orlando Sentinel
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “City approves removal of Muscovy duck population.” – The 32789
- “State Road 426 project team discusses safety, schedules community event.” – The 32789
- “Winter Park Holiday Boat Parade lights up Lake Virginia.” – The 32789
- “Downtown Credo signs on for cafe at Downtown YMCA.” – Bungalower
- “Janet’s coming to Orlando – Miss Jackson, if you’re nasty.” – Bungalower
- “New Ruth’s Chris now open in Winter Park Village.” – Bungalower
- “Orlando International Airport says everything’s fine with its gas supply – kind of.” – Bungalower
- “This year’s homeless memorial service to be held on December 14.” – Bungalower
- “Hole opens up in busy downtown Orlando intersection, weekend traffic to be impacted, police say.” – FOX 35
- “Gov. Ron DeSantis expects constitutional carry to pass in Florida.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orlando Starbucks workers join nationwide strike as contract talks remain stalled.” – Orlando Weekly
- “7 Cities that could be headed for a housing crisis.” – AOL
- “The National Mall is hosting a pop-up exhibit for new monuments.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “When it rains, these Philly sidewalks reveal a hidden message about flood resilience.” – Next City
- “The Christmas Present Test.” – Strong Towns
- “What comes next after abolishing parking mandates?” – Strong Towns
- “The most successful strategy for ending homelessness is under attack.” – Vox
- “Street Ballet Opera.” – Urban Omnibus
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 12/19: Dickens by Candlelight (Audubon Park)
- Tuesday 12/20: Bungalower Bingo at Tactical Brewing (Baldwin Park)
- Tuesday 12/20: Magic Michael Horror Male Dance Revue – Holiday Edition (Downtown)
- Wednesday 12/21: Orlando Makers Holiday Market (Mills 50)
- Friday 12/23: Holiday Market at Lake Eola (Downtown)
- Friday 12/23: Holiday Movie at Lake Eola Park – “The Grinch” (Downtown)
- Friday 12/23: James Brown Holiday Jam at Lil Indies (Mills 50)