This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.” Click HERE to listen to Episode 306 of Bungalower and The Bus on Real Radio 104.1, recorded at the newly opened Otto’s High Dive in the Milk District, which was sponsored by the DeWitt Law Firm.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- The Cheez-It Bowl is back this week and this year they’re celebrating with a series of exclusive Cheez-It-themed hotel rooms.
- Orlando Fringe has just released a schedule for its new downtown home on Church Street, still no peep out of Mad Cow though …
- The Hideaway Bar was Dodge Rammed by a drunk driver last week but only a few days later, the bar and its supporters had it back open and serving patrons as if nothing had happened. We love to see it. The rallying, not the drinking and driving.
- A coffee cart that popped-up in Lake Eola is being asked to leave by December 28th and the owner isn’t too happy about it.
- Lime has just announced a partnership that will make its micromobility services more accessible and affordable to people on food stamps.
- City Hall just named its new Public Art Coordinator and it is none other than former director of Avalon Gallery, Pat Greene, a popular face in the local arts scene.
- Beloved East End Market stall, Farm and Haus, has opened a fancy new restaurant on Park Avenue in Winter Park that serves breakfast and lunch only.
- “Rent prices drop in Orlando, high costs still squeezing families.” – Click Orlando
- “Marta is back! Marta Vieira da Silva returns to Orlando Pride.” – 90.7 WMFE
- “Ted Maines leaves legacy of creativity, advocacy.” – The 32789
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “Pig Floyd’s owner updates progress, menu at Lee Road location.” – Bungalower
- “New dumpling pop-up cometh.” – Bungalower
- “Orange County announces new sculpture at Orange County Fire Rescue Training Center.” – Bungalower
- “Zebra Coalition awaiting funding for LGBTQ+ housing project.” – The Community Paper
- “Survivor of deadly Orlando fireworks warehouse fire continues to fight for her life, family says.” – FOX 35
- “Community Impact Heroes: Lift Orlando exec shares why affordable housing isn’t just about homes.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Floridians could soon carry guns without permits or training.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Orlando adds sprawling boardwalk over ‘jewel’ Wetlands Park.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “State’s toll-reduction plan will apply to Central Florida drivers, too.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Florida insurance commissioner resigns amid crisis.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Former Sanctum Cafe owner Chelsie DiPaolo will open One Life Daily Market in Winter Park this spring.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Wild video shows moment accused burglars plow SUV into Orlando GameStop.” – WESH 2
- “Gov. DeSantis signs property insurance and disaster relief bill Friday.” – WINK News
- “Building a retirement home for NYC carriage horses.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Santa Claus, the Spirit of the Mall, is back.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “How the restaurant scene became a symbol of gentrification.” – Planetizen
- “Cities take on a new front in the climate battle: Meat Eating.” – Reasons To Be Cheerful
- “What black jello says about the power of small enterprise.” – Reasons To Be Cheerful
- “A Florida dominatrix just asked City Council to fund her dungeon.” – VICE
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 12/26: Bird Call – An APGD Celebration at Redlight Redlight (Audubon Park)
- Tuesday 12/27: Bungalower Drag Bingo and Music Video Dance Party (Baldwin Park)
- Thursday 12/29: Cheez-It Bowl Parade of Bands (Winter Park)
- Thursday 12/29: NYE Nibbles and Sips at Nora’s Sugar Shack (Ivanhoe Village)
- Thursday 12/29: Tremonti Sings Sinatra (Downtown)
- Friday 12/30: Adventure Club at The Vanguard (Downtown)