- This event has passed.
‘400 Years of Horse Power: The Engine That Built New York City’ Webinar
August 11, 2020 @ 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
New York Adventure Club | www.AdventureClub.com
Taxis, subways, pigeons…while these are words commonly associated with New York City today, the first thing to come to mind before the early 1900s would have most likely been horses, horses, and more horses — that’s because up until the turn of the 20th century, there were over 100,000 of them living on the island of Manhattan alone. This is the incredible story of the majestic animal that pulled New York City, on all fours, from a small Dutch company town into one of the great cities in the world.
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore 400 years of horses in New York City, and the direct role they played in creating the metropolis we know and love today.
Led by Christina Hansen — horsewoman, historian, and carriage driver in Central Park — our unique look at New York City and its equestrian citizens will include:
- How horses have served in New York City throughout its history, from work horses, to police horses, to status symbols in high society
- The importance of horses in the fight for women’s suffrage a century ago
- Why the city came to a standstill in October 1872 because of the “Canadian Horse Plague”
- Where to find remnants of equine infrastructure, including stables, drives, and roadways
- A discussion around New York’s most famous horses — the carriage horses of Central Park — from their role in Frederick Law Olmsted’s original plans for Central Park, to day-to-day routine, to entanglements with politics past and present
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Christina — any and all questions about horses in NYC are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Christina Hansen is a longtime carriage driver and working horse advocate. Originally from Lexington, Kentucky (“Horse Capital of the World”) and formally trained as a historian, she brings a unique perspective to New York’s equine history, as someone who has both studied it and made it. (You’ve probably seen her on TV as a spokesperson for the NYC carriage industry, or in the documentary “The Last Horsemen of New York.”)
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: Arts, Hidden Spots, Historic Sites, Virtual