- This event has passed.
Cardboard Boat Regatta
March 4, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 2:00 pm$25
Teams compete to create the most sea worthy watercraft out of ONLY Cardboard and Duct Tape! Your team can build a craft on-site OR bring an amazing cardboard vessel with you! Then race around the Wickham Park swimming pond! There will be food and music at the all day event! Come show us what you can create!
Event Rules and Entry Form downloadable at http://
This event made possible by the amazing support of local business such as Eau Gallie Ace Hardware and Prizes from places like Grills Riverside,Uno Pizzeria & Grill, Walmart Neighborhood Market Melbourne – N Wickham Rd, Gator’s Dockside Melbourne, Squid Lips, Carrabba’s Italian Grill and the amazing t-shirts from Custom-signs And-shirts!
Brevard County Parks and Recreation South Area
Cardboard Boat Regatta
Saturday March 4th 2017
TIMELINE: 9:00am: On-site build team check-in
10:00am: On-site build begins
11:00am: Freestyle team check-in
12:00pm: Races Start!
BUILD ON SITE: (Boats built day of event)
• BUILD ON-SITE Teams
Fee covers cardboard and 4 Rolls of Duct tape. Additional tape may be brought by team members. Each participant is responsible to provide their own utility knives for cutting, and markers/spray paint for decoration.
FREESTYLE TEAMS: (Boats built off site)
• Families, individuals, youth & school groups up to age 12
• Clubs or Organizations
• Corporate Teams (boats with corporate logos)
*Building a sponsors boat- Teams who help us locate a $250+ event sponsor and would like to build a boat under their sponsors name. The sponsor will be able to display their name and logo in the pit area, will be featured in all Event advertising and will have their logo on the Event T-shirt as a sponsor.
• On-site Build Event (age 9+)
Must have 2 crewmembers in boat and one MUST be over the age of 18
• Single Paddler Junior (age 13-17)
• Multi Paddler Junior (age 13-17
• Parent/Child Event (age 9-12)
• Single Paddler Event (age 18-54)
• Multi-Paddler Event (age 18-54)
• Senior Open Event (age 55+ single or multi paddler)
Crewmembers ages 9-17 MUST have parent or legal guardian consent to participate in race. And this person MUST be present at the event.
Crewmembers ages 9-12 may paddle with parent or legal guardian in the Parent/Child multi-paddler heat.
Boats may be entered in multiple events.
Crewmembers name for each event will be listed on registration form completed at Team check-in the day of the Regatta
Event organizers reserve the right to merge, add or eliminate any category based on attendance
Applications can downloaded off our website http://www.brevardfl.gov/
or off our Facebook page @BCPRSouth
Payments and applications can be mailed to
1515 Sarno Road, Building A
Melbourne, FL 32935
For questions email [email protected]
1. Boats will be propelled only by oars, canoe or kayak paddles. These items must be provided by crewmembers. Boats must have sides. No surfboard style boats allowed.
2. The ENTIRE boat must be built from cardboard and duct tape. Boat names must be appropriate for a family friendly event.
3. Wood, metal, Styrofoam, paint, rubber inflatable devices or other materials that would provide buoyancy, and/or other materials that would aid flotation or make the hull rigid are prohibited. This applies to the keel, transom, ribs, hull, etc.
4. The boat’s passenger area must not be enclosed above the occupant’s shoulders so as to interfere with escape should the vessel instantly convert itself into a submarine!
5. All crewmembers must attend a mandatory meeting to be held after construction, and prior to racing, to discuss race rules. Participant will receive a boat number on the day of the race. Boat numbers must be written or painted in a visible place on the boat prior to race times.
6. During competition, crew must be visible IN the boat—not towing it, holding it between their legs, swimming or allowing the life jacket to provide the flotation of the vessel. Races will begin in the water with crew(s) in the boat. One or two people may steady a single crew boat or a multi-crew boat. No pushing boat is allowed.
7. All boats are subject to inspection and disqualification for violation of these rules.
8. Every crewmember must sign a “Hold Harmless” liability release before the race.
9. Every crewmember must wear an approved Personal Flotation Device (Lifejacket) AND water/close toed shoes. These items will not be provided and not having them will result in forfeit.
10. Boat design is left to the builders. Let your imagination take over; make your boat look like a race car, flying saucer, dragon, the Queen Mary, etc. Crew costumes are encouraged.
11. Sunken or discarded boats must be disposed of in the designated area. Cardboard can be VERY heavy when wet. Please bring enough crewmembers to be able to remove all parts of the vessel from the water should your boat have a Titanic moment.
12. Judges reserve the right to divide entrants into individual heats. Total elapsed time will determine winners. All decisions from the Judges will be final.
13. Crewmembers must ensure that their area has been cleaned prior to departure. All boats must be removed from the park or cut apart and placed in trash containers.
14. Crewmembers ages 9-17 MUST have parent or legal guardian consent to participate in race. And this person MUST be present at the event. Crewmembers ages 9-12 may paddle with parent or legal guardian in the Parent/Child multi-paddler heat.
15. Contestants are expected to maintain the decorum and dignity of a yachtsman and not behave like pirates.
Remember—it’s all for fun!