- This event has passed.
Culture Pop: Untold Stories
July 15, 2016 @ 6:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Not your typical exhibition opening, Culture Pop! connects guests with the artists and the art itself. In addition to being among the first to see new exhibitions, guests also enjoy live music, poetry readings, complimentary food & cash bar with fine wines, craft beer and more. Get a unique glimpse of the A&H campus after nightfall!
Free for A&H Members & First Green Bank cardholders; $5 for Not-Yet-Members.
Untold Stories is presented by Duke Energy and Culture Pop! is presented by First GREEN Bank.
Untold Stories, in A&H’s Maitland Art Center, features:
Inspired Storytelling: Tomengo’s Maitland Project
A&H’s former Artist-in-Action Trent Tomengo presents a series of oil paintings inspired by photographs, artifacts and profiles of working-class residents of Maitland and its surroundings from the late 1800s and early 1900s.
The African American Narrative (Select works from the Polk Museum of Art)
An exhibition recognizing noted contemporary African American artists working in the narrative tradition to address personal and historic themes. Pieces from the African American Narrative are on loan from the permanent collection of the Polk Museum of Art in Lakeland, which began in 1983 and now includes works by nationally and internationally recognized artists.
The A&H’s Maitland Historical Museum will also be open, and the Lake Apopka Farmworker Memorial Quilt exhibit will be on display. The quilt, created by community members, brings to the forefront the effect of pesticides on farmers, many of whom died or were afflicted with long-term health issues.
Watch the campus come alive with countless activities at Culture Pop:
• Collaborate on an interactive art-making activity
• Enjoy music by The Daniel Heitz Band.
• Hear readings from local writers and poets.
• Meet A&H’s Artists-in-Action Anthony Deal, Dan L. Hess, Martha Lent and Danny Powell
• View a pop-up exhibition by Anthony Deal
• Engage in 10 Questions with Trent Tomengo, led by A&H’s Chief Curator, Rebecca Sexton Larson
• Snack on complimentary appetizers provided by Puff ‘n Stuff Catering
• Plus, a cash bar with fines wines and craft beers is available
Special thanks to event partners Performing Arts of Maitland, Puff ‘n Stuff Catering and Maitland Poets and Writers.