- This event has passed.
Culture Pop! Women of the Research Studio
January 5, 2018 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Join us at Culture Pop! on January 5, featuring:
– Preview of Women of the Research Studio: Past & Present exhibition
– Q&A with the artists, led by A&H’s Director of Experiences
– Literary readings by local writers
– Music DJ’ed by OMG It’s Becky
– Meet A&H’s Artists-in-Action
– View pop-up exhibition by Artist-in-Action Richard Munster
– Demonstrations by Art School instructors
– Light bites by Cocktails Catering
– Cash bar with fine wine & craft beer
Admission: free for A&H members; $7 for Not-Yet-Members in advance; $10 at the door. Purchase advance tickets here: http://artandhistory.org/plan-your-visit/tickets
2017-18 Culture Pop! events are presented by Maitland Vision Center
About the Women of the Research Studio: Past & Present exhibition:
The Women of the Research Studio: Past & Present exhibition honors the legacy of female artists visiting the A&H’s Maitland Art Center. This exhibit in the Maitland Art Center galleries features prints and paintings by “Bok Fellows” such as Mina Citron (1896–1991) and Jan Gelb (1906–78), along with new mixed-media artworks by 2017 Artists-in-Residence, Nikki Painter and Elisabeth Condon.
Previously known as The Research Studio, A&H’s Maitland Art Center was home to a number of significant artists from 1938-1956, who temporarily lived and worked in this artists’ colony. These artists were known as “Bok Fellows,” in homage to The Research Studio benefiting from the generous support of philanthropist Mary Curtis Bok. In 2013, the A&H implemented its new Artist-in-Residence (AiR) program. To this day, the program thrives with visiting artists residing in founder André Smith’s home and studio throughout the year.
(Cover Photo: Goddess and Warrior by Elisabeth Condon)