- This event has passed.
Jumpstart: Tactical Urbanism for Government course
August 5 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
The world’s first online tactical urbanism training course tailored for Government. Discounts on early bird sales. Traffic engineers half price!
The global crisis in 2008 seeded a global revolution in how we deliver urban change, catalysing grassroots action in streets and public spaces.
Jump forward to 2020 and tactical urbanism is again a powerful tool for local people and authorities to test strategic urban improvements to catalyse local economic recovery and build social confidence with public spaces.
Tactical urbanism, also known as collaborative urbanism, temporary activation and lighter, quicker, cheaper is now a proven tool in Government toolkit. Evidenced through a wide array of important projects that have tested new ideas, de-risked change and opened city making to the wider community.
Designed specifically for Government workers, this 5 week, webinar based course will take you through the rationale, process, planning, implementation and measurement of tactical urbanism projects and provide you with knowledge and resources to tool up your organisation to undertake your own tactical urbanism projects and support communities locally-led efforts.
Come away with increased confidence and a process map for tactical projects.
Date: 5 August – 2 September, 12noon-1.30pm AEST (Melbourne time)
WHAT YOU GET
- 5 weeks x 90 minute interactive online group sessions including 15 minutes of dedicated question time.
- Weekly group reflections for deeper learning
- Tactical urbanism spectrum & roadmap
- Access to the Tactical Urbanism library resource centre for 6 weeks
- 10 day access to session recordings – in case you miss a session
- Webinar training platform is equally accessible via mobile and desktop devices.
- Early bird: 10 x early bird tickets available for $500 inc GST (online purchases only)
- Standard course: $650 inc GST
- Half price tickets for Traffic Engineers: $325 inc GST
1-on-1 mentoring options available – 3 x 50 minute video conferences with course leaders.
Contact [email protected] for more information on the course.
The 5-week program will be delivered by webinars, accessible via any digital device.
1 – INSPIRE: Facilitated by Valli Morphett & Kylie Legge
- Know your why
- History of Tactical Urbanism
- Strategy to tactics
- Role of activation/tactical urbanism
- Introducing the Tactical Urbanism Spectrum and Road Map
2 – PARTNER: Facilitated by Valli Morphett
- Know your who
- Ideate together
- Mobilise collaborators
- Beware of burnout
- Getting your governance right
3 – PLAN: Facilitated by Kyle Legge
- Plan your how
- Understand strategic drivers
- Develop your approach
- Coordinating resource library
- Allocating responsibility
4 – DELIVER : Facilitated by Valli Morphett
- Just do it!
- Coordinating volunteers
- Implementation toolkit
- Managing delivery
5 – MEASURE : Facilitated by Kyle Legge
- Test, innovate iterate!
- Planning a measurement framework
- Capture the right data
- Evaluate impact
- Celebrate success
Director of Design Jam
Valli is a placemaking specialist, webinar guru and digital engagement expert. With over a decade of experience in Local Government in Australia & the UK, backed up by a decade within leading edge placemaking firms, she knows how to mobilise local communities and facilitate tactical urbanism for social & economic impact within mainstreets and activity centres.
CEO of Place Score /Place Partners
Kylie is an architect and planner, but has worked in strategic placemaking for 15+ years on 100s of mainstreet projects across regional and urban Australia. Her approach to tactical urbanism focuses on uncovering the problem that needs to be solved and using local research /data to guide the strategic outcomes that stick.