- This event has passed.
National Bushfire and Climate Summit 2020: Recommendations and Wrap Up
July 29, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Join our host, Kerry O’Brien, and an expert panel as they present the recommendations of the National Bushfire and Climate Summit 2020.
This free digital panel discussion offers the public a special opportunity to gain insight into the private roundtable discussions held across June and July with over 100 senior experts and community leaders, and learn more about the findings produced by the National Summit.
During the panel we’ll:
- Hear about the critical steps government can take, and how we can build strong, resilient communities as we brace for the next bushfire season with Greg Mullins AO AFSM, Former NSW Fire & Rescue Commissioner
- Speak to Former Director of Defence Preparedness Cheryl Durrant about the role of the Australian Defence Force in responding to worsening extreme weather events, including bushfires.
- Discuss the growing cost of bushfires with Nicki Hutley, Partner at Deloitte Access Economics
- Learn how cultural fire and land restoration can be used to support resilient landscapes that protect, conserve and enhance Country with Oliver Costello, CEO of Firesticks Alliance Indigenous Corporation
- Learn what is needed to support the community services sector better respond before, during and after a disaster to support people and communities experiencing disadvantage with Dr Cassandra Goldie, CEO Australian Council of Social Service
- Find out what’s next with Amanda McKenzie, Climate Council CEO
As we recover from the unprecedented disaster of the recent bushfire season, and brace for the next, a strengthened and coordinated national response is more important than ever to protect Australian communities from catastrophic fire conditions and the escalating impacts of climate change.
About the Bushfire and Climate Summit: Virtual Events 2020
As a result of the spread of the COVID-19 virus in Australia, the virtual Bushfire and Climate Summit in 2020 will now be an online series of 6 events, from June-July 2020. These will consist of a mix of public panels and closed-door roundtables, and are seeking to develop a coordinated national response to our increasingly dangerous bushfire seasons.
The Summit will bring together representatives from bushfire-affected communities, fire and emergency services, volunteer and career firefighter representative bodies, the military and home affairs, industry, economists, farmers, conservationists, the health sector, veterinarians, scientists and other interested groups.
We will take the knowledge and networks shared at our public panel and closed-door digital events and put them before Australia’s decision-makers as we brace for the next bushfire season.
Please note: The Emergency Leaders for Climate Action (ELCA) have made the decision to postpone the physical events planned as part of the National Bushfire Emergency Summit, and plan to bring these networks together again for a physical summit in 2021.
Read the Climate Council’s ‘Summer of Crisis’ report on Australia’s recent bushfire season here.