- This event has passed.
‘Stardust Melodies: Legacy of The Great American Songbook’ Webinar
June 23 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
New York Adventure Club | www.AdventureClub.com
While there are many American Songbooks out there ranging from blues to country music, the Great American Songbook is undeniably the most prolific of them all — after all, it contains songs by some of the great composers of the 20th century like George Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Duke Ellington, and Cole Porter. Where did this music come from? Why does this music endure? And what makes these songs some of the most timeless tunes 70+ years later? It’s time to explore the Great American Songbook and the world-class writers and artists who made it so legendary.
Join New York Adventure Club as we uncover the origins and legacy of the Great American Songbook — written mostly between the World Wars and primarily for Broadway shows and Hollywood musicals, this songbook of incredible songs and performing artists dominated the 20th century music scene, and continues to be relevant all these decades later.
Led by award-winning author Will Friedwald, who is widely considered one of the nation’s most prolific music writers, our journey through some of the greatest jazz standards of all time will include:
- A deep dive into the Great American Songbook’s collection of legendary songwriters, including Rodgers & Hart, Harold Arlen, Jerome Kern, Johnny Mercer, and many more
- A discussion of the shows and movies that the songs were written for, which went on to become some of the best of Broadway and Hollywood
- A look at the legendary singers and stars who introduced these songs, including Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Ella Fitzgerald and Nat King Cole — and even latter day giants like rock star Janis Joplin
- An overview of the jazz icons who possibly did more than anyone else to transform hits into standards and keep the songs alive such as Billie Holiday and Count Basie
- Why rock artists, from Linda Ronstadt and Rod Stewart to Janis Joplin and Bob Dylan, sing their own takes on this definitive songbook — and sometimes even record entire albums of vintage popular standards
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Will — any and all questions about the Great American Songbook are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Will Friedwald is a featured arts writer for The Wall Street Journal and Vanity Fair, and the award-winning author of ten books on music and popular culture, including the new Straighten Up and Fly Right: The Life and Music of Nat King Cole, as well as A Biographical Guide To The Great Jazz And Pop Singers, Sinatra: The Song Is You, Stardust Melodies, Tony Bennett: The Good Life, Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies, and Jazz Singing. He has written over 600 liner notes for compact discs, received ten Grammy nominations, and appears frequently on television and other documentaries. He is also a consultant and curator for Apple Music.
“Once again Will gave so much insight on the great american song book.” -Laura
“Will is terrific! He is hilarious and so armed knowledgeable. I will watch anything by him!” -Ellie
“Everything!! Well paced, great examples of the music, and obviously knowledgeable presenter.” -Jyll
“Obviously, some of the greatest music ever recorded! Very much enjoyed the well-paced, thoughtful, insightful presentation. Couldn’t ask for a better presenter!” -Bee
“Will!!!!! He’s terrific!” -Maria
“Another great event presented by Will” -Cynthia
“This was a great presentation. I learned so much. Thanks Will.” -Andasia
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: Virtual, Art & Entertainment