- This event has passed.
‘The History of Ice Cream in New York City’ Webinar
September 28, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
New York Adventure Club | www.AdventureClub.com
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! From satisfying the sweet tooth of our first Commander in Chief to its role during Prohibition, ice cream and America go hand-in-cone — especially when it comes to New York City. Are you ready for the inside scoop on one of America’s favorite desserts, and how it took the country — and New York City — for a churn?
Join New York Adventure Club as we explore New York City’s extensive role in the history of ice cream, and the ways in which this sweet treat evolved from a delicacy for the wealthy in colonial America into a staple of American culture.
Led by Educator Meg Lynch from the Morris-Jumel Mansion — Manhattan’s oldest residence and site of George Washington’s 1790 cabinet dinner — our virtual experience surrounding this creamy confection will include:
- Ice cream in early American, including different recipes, ice cream making processes, and fun facts about past U.S. Presidents who enjoyed the delicacy
- New York City’s role in the story of ice cream, from the site of the first American ice cream parlor to commercializing the summer treat
- Improvements in technology and transportation that allowed the ice cream industry to grow
- NYC and ice cream today, from famous brands with New York origins to the evolution of dairy-free ice cream
- A DIY ice cream making demonstration, which you can follow along with (see the simple list of ingredients below)
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Meg — any and all questions about ice cream in New York City are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
Ice cream Making Demo Ingredient List (optional)
- 1 gallon-sized freezer bag OR a round, empty coffee can with top
- 2 sandwich-sized ziplock freezer bags
- Ice (about 2-3 cups)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons kosher or rock salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix-ins such as chocolate chips, chopped strawberries, blueberries, other fruits, or pre-crushed cookies (optional)
- Looking for a dairy-free option? Try substituting the milk for almond, oat or soy milk and the heavy cream for a coconut milk or creamer
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: Arts, Historic Sites, Virtual