- This event has passed.
‘The Secrets of the New Jersey Palisades’ Webinar
August 7, 2020 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
The ruins of an abandoned mansion, a haunted clock tower in the middle of NJ’s wealthiest neighborhood, a scenic overlook on a 500-foot-high cliff — it’s time to explore the secrets of a narrow stretch of land right across from New York City like never before.
Join New York Adventure Club as we embark on a virtual exploration of the New Jersey Palisades, NJ, a line of steep cliffs along the west side of the lower Hudson River in northeastern New Jersey and southeastern New York formed nearly 200 million years ago.
Led by licensed tour guide and palisades resident Maggie Browne, our virtual showcase will include:
- A brief history of the Palisades in modern times, from when small fishing communities and bathing houses lined its shores to how it became one of the most expensive zip codes in NJ
- How the George Washington Bridge came to be — when completed in 1931, it became the world’s largest suspension bridge, and first land bridge between New Jersey and New York
- The 101 on “devil nuts” and why they line the hidden beaches on the Hudson River
- Photos of the abandoned ruins of Cliffdale Manor, a fifteen-room manor house built in 1911 for George A. Zabriskie, New York representative for the Minneapolis-based Pillsbury flour mills
- The local legend of Devil’s Tower, a stone clock tower originally designed for sugar baron Manuel Rionda (1854–1943) that is claimed to be haunted
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Maggie — any and all questions about the Palisades are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
“Maggie was entertaining and covered a lot of interesting info about the NJ Palisades! She was knowledgeable and interested in the topic and made it enjoyable.” -Susan
“Maggie’s informal style mixed with solid information. I also liked that she included several maps for reference. She also mixed in personal photos and video which showed her firthand experience with this topic.” -Duane
“The presentation was great, but I was especially delighted by how everyone in the chat chimed in to share their own experiences!” -Lee
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: Arts, Historic Sites, Hidden Spots, Virtual