- This event has passed.
AUDITIONS: “Heathers the Musical”
January 26, 2016 @ 7:00 pm - January 27, 2016 @ 10:00 pm
The Breakthrough Theatre of Winter Park will hold auditions for “Heathers the Musical”, on Tuesday, 1/26, and Wednesday, 1/27, from 7-10 p.m. (callbacks on Thursday, 1/28, 7-10 p.m.)
HEATHERS THE MUSICAL is the darkly delicious story of Veronica Sawyer, a brainy, beautiful teenage misfit who hustles her way into the most powerful and ruthless clique at Westerberg High: the Heathers. But before she can get comfortable atop the high school food chain, Veronica falls in love with the dangerously sexy new kid J.D. When Heather Chandler, the Almighty, kicks her out of the group, Veronica decides to bite the bullet and kiss Heather’s aerobicized ass,but J.D. has another plan for that bullet.
To audtion, prepare 16-32 measures of 2 songs in the style of the show (rock, teen angsty). You may sing songs from the show. Some will be asked to read from the script, and some will go through a choreography audition. There will not be a pianist. Please bring your song on a cd, IPOD, or something similar. We can also play a YouTube song.
You must be 16 and up. Anyone under 18 will need a letter from a parent giving you permission to participate in the show. All roles unpaid.
No appointments taken. Just show up between the hours listed.
Heathers will be directed by Angela Cotto, and music directed by Angelyn Rhode.
Show Dates and Times:
March 25-April 11, 2016
Fridays, Saturdays, and Mondays at 8 p.m., and Sundays at 3 p.m.
ALL ROLES AVAILABLE!
17. She burns to be both cool and kind, but doesn’t know yet how to be both at the same time. Fierce sense of right and wrong, keen sense of ironic humor. Thinks she’s an old soul, but she’s still innocent enough to be blindsided by love/hormones (or shocked by cruelty). Voice: High belting required, up to high G, High Ab preferable. Must have dynamic and stylistic range.
17. He is darkly charismatic, compelling, attractive, charming on the outside yet very damaged on the inside. Keen smarts and strong inventive comedy. Voice: Strong, confident belt to at least an Ab, A preferable; wide emotional range.
17. Richest, hottest, most magnetic, cruelest girl in town. Relishes power and wields it like a scalpel – no fear, no patience, no mercy. Voice: Strong belt to D, Eb preferred.
17. Beautiful, innocent, stupid, can be mean on command if Heather Chandler orders it, but actually quite vulnerable and fearful. Voice: Strong belt to D, Eb preferred.
17. Whipping-girl of the 3 Heathers. When she finally becomes Queen Bee she wields power like a bulldozer. Voice: Strong belt to C, D preferred.
17. Nicknamed “Martha Dumptruck”, the opposite of hot, confident, or popular. Huge and beautiful soul, optimistic even in the face of rejection. Voice: Strong belt to E or F, wide vocal expression.
17, Linebacker. Big, insensitive to the feelings of others, ruled by appetites. Voice: Strong Baritone, belt to F#, G preferred, some Falsetto useful.
17. Quarterback and Captain. Big, chiseled, rude, entitled, cocky. Mean, thinks he’s the brains in the friendship with Ram. Voice: Tenor, strong belt to Ab or A, some Falsetto
BOY 1 – Bitter Geek 16-18. A put-upon, bitter geek. Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
BOY 2 – Blowdried Preppy 16-18. A blowdried 80’s preppy. Voice: Bass (up to E) or Bari (up to G#).
BOY 3 – Hipster Dork 16-18. Thinks he’s Ducky from ‘Pretty In Pink.’ Voice: Bari (up to F#) or Tenor (up to A).
GIRL 1 – Goth Girl 16-18. A sullen goth girl. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
GIRL 2 – Stoner Chick 16-18. A fuzzyheaded stoner chick. Voice: Belt to at least C# (a Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
GIRL 3 – Young Republicanette 16-18. A tennis-playing, uptight Student Council type. Voice: Belt to at least C# (Soprano up to high A/B is also a plus).
RAM’S DAD/BIG BUD DEAN/COACH RIPPER: 30-50; Ram’s Dad: Former football player turned suburban Dad, has never outgrown his glory days in high school. Hates weakness, but capable of soul-searching when tragedy strikes. Also plays Big Bud Dean: JD’s single Dad. Big jolly personality that barely conceals the enormous rage bubbling just below the surface. Quite possibly a serial bomber. Also plays Coach Ripper: Stalwart, man’s man; quick to defend his players. Voice: Baritone/Tenor – power Country/Gospel belt to Ab, higher welcome.
KURT’S DAD/VERONICA’S DAD/PRINCIPAL GOWAN: 30-50; Kurt’s Dad: Straight-laced, very conservative, also former football player. A simple guy, not book smart, you’d be happy to share a beer with him. Also plays Veronica’s Dad: Easygoing and distant. Voice: Strong Baritone/Tenor — power Country/Gospel belt to G, even higher better. Also plays Principal Gowan: Rumpled, burned out, hates conflict. NOTE: Sometimes this actor has played Big Bud/Coach instead of Principal Gowan.
MS. FLEMING/VERONICA’S MOM: 30-50; Ms. Fleming: Aging hippie teacher, still yearning for the day the Age of Aquarius reaches Ohio. Hungry for the spotlight, resentful of entitled youth. Also plays Veronica’s Mom: easygoing, distant, yet capable of laying down the law. Voice: Great belt up to C, higher always welcome.
Rehearsal Schedule (subject to change at director’s discretion):
Tuesday, Feb. 2, 7-10
Thursday, Feb. 4, 7-10
Saturday, Feb. 6, 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 10, 7-10
Thursday, Feb. 11, 7-10
Saturday, Feb. 13, 11-2
Saturday, Feb. 20, 11-2
Tuesday, Feb. 23, 7-10
Wednesday, Feb. 24, 7-10
Saturday, Feb. 27, 12-3
Tuesday, March 1, 7-10
Wednesday, March 2, 7-10
Thursday, March 3, 7-10
Saturday, March 5, 12-3
Tuesday, March 8, 7-10
Wednesday, March 9, 7-10
Saturday, March 12, 12-3
Tuesday, March 15, 7-10
Wednesday, March 16, 7-10
Monday-Thursday, March 21-24, 7-??? (tech week)