- This event has passed.
‘The Ghosts of New York City’s Elevated Railroads’ Webinar
July 14, 2020 @ 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm
From 1867-1955, four different elevated railroads (aka “Els”) traversed Manhattan, which provided the first true rapid transit to a city choked by traffic. From Civic Center to Chinatown, and Little Italy to the Lower East Side, this is the story of the long-departed transit routes that defined 19th-century NYC, and the hidden remnants that are still standing over 100 years later.
Join New York Adventure Club on a fascinating exploration of the former elevated railroads between Brooklyn and Manhattan, from the downtown portions of the 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue Elevated Railroads, to the trains that ran across the Brooklyn Bridge.
Led by NYC Tour Guide Michael Morgenthal, our virtual experience surrounding the Els of the past will include:
- How the Els came to be, and how they radically transformed neighborhoods such as the Civic Center, Chinatown, Little Italy, and the Lower East Side
- The story of Allen Street, which was widened in the 1930s in part to alleviate the dirt, noise, and shadows caused by the elevated trains
- A closer look at the trains that ran across the Brooklyn Bridge, and how they influenced the design of the Municipal Building near City Hall
- The great transfer points including the City Hall Elevated spur and Chatham Square, the latter of which caused chaos and confusion for those looking to transfer between these two lines — for a fee!
- Where to find the ghosts of the Elevated, including a Manhattan power station hiding in plain sight
Afterward, we’ll have a Q&A with Mike — any and all questions about the Elevated railroads are welcomed and encouraged!
Can’t make it live? Don’t worry, you’ll have access to the full replay for one week!
See you there, virtually!
*Immediately upon registering, you will receive a separate, automated email containing the link to join this webinar
**For the best possible viewing experience, please ensure you’re using the latest version of your internet browser — Google Chrome is the most compatible. Exact technical requirements and a webinar user guide will be shared in the automated confirmation email upon registration.
***A full replay of the experience will be available to all registered guests for up to a week
By attending a New York Adventure Club experience, you accept our terms of service.
Categories: Historic Sites, Hidden Spots, Virtual