Mayor Buddy Dyer has announced that the City of Orlando, through a partnership with United Arts of Central Florida and local indie-publisher Burrow Press, is looking to appoint their first Poet Laureate.
The new appointment is ceremonial in nature and is meant to serve as a fixture in the City’s cultural communities. They will present original works of poetry at City and youth events.
Applicants must be at least 21 years-of-age, not currently enrolled in an academic program, and able and willing to participate in the public duties of the appointment.
Qualified poets have until 5 p.m. August 7 to submit an application HERE.
The Poet Laureate Selection Committee includes:
- Linda Landman Gonzalez, Florida Humanities Council
- Vidhu Aggarwal, Rollins College
- Dr. Shari Kroopman, Valencia College
- Leo Linares, Orange County Library System
- Cecilia Milanes, University of Central Florida
- Ryan Rivas, Burrow Press
- Shawn Welcome, Slam Poet and Polis Institute
According to Burrow Press, the Poet Laureate will, “… receive an honorarium of $3,000 per year for up to a three‐year term, plus reimbursement for approved (related) expenses.”