As reported by the Orlando Sentinel HERE, Governor Rick Scott has vetoed $461 M of spending from the latest State budget, which still added up to $78 B.
Funding for multiple initiatives that was approved by the Legislature, was cancelled. Initiatives spurned by the State include:
- $15 M for the UCF downtown campus
- $5 M for phase 2 of the Dr. Phillips Performing Arts Center
- $150,000 for Orlando Repertory Theatre, Inc.
- $500,000 for Maitland Jewish Community Campus Infrastructure Improvements
- $3 M for the Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute
- $500,000 for the City of Cocoa Emergency Operations Center
The UCF downtown campus was depending on the funds to kickstart the pre-construction phase of the project. The project was expected to have a fall 2017 opening, bringing over 13,000 students to downtown Orlando.