A “locavore” is a person whose diet consists only or principally of locally grown or produced food. Along those lines, every month, local chefs welcome Orlando’s locavore, Misty Heath, into their kitchens to break down how to make some of their signature dishes for our readers to make at home.
This column is also featured in our monthly print product, available in restaurants and storefronts across the City Beautiful.
Summer has hit The City Beautiful in full force and in between furiously applying SPF 100+ and standing directly in front of an A/C vent, probably naked, no one has the time or energy to cook in a hot kitchen. So we thought hard about something you could whip up without having to whip out the oven.
Da Kine Poke (Facebook | Website) started as a food truck in April 2016 by founders Pete Downing and Aaron Smith and launched the current poke wave in the culinary scene. Since then they have opened multiple locations with loads of great healthy options at an affordable price including stalls at Market on Magnolia in Downtown Orlando and The Local Butcher and Market in Winter Park.
Bungalower’s staff pick at Da Kine is without a doubt the El Diablo Bowl which has the perfect blend of fresh ingredients with spicy sauces – extra spicy mayo, please! It’s the perfect summer dish that you can make without working up a sweat.
- R4oz Ahi Tuna, ¾” cubed (raw)
- 2 T sliced scallion
- 2 T puffed rice crisps
- 1 T crispy fried onions (French’s brand)
- 1 T spicy soy (mix sriracha & soy)
- 1 T spicy mayo (mix mayo, sriracha, squeeze of lemon)
- 1⁄2 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup seasoned sushi rice (see pro tips)
- Sriracha sauce
- TO HAVE EVERYTHING BUT THE TUNA AND THE VEG DELIVERED TO YOUR DOOR, SIMPLY CLICK HERE AND SHOP FROM OUR AMAZON STORE 🙂
In bowl mix first 4 ingredients with spicy soy sauce. In a serving dish, spoon the mixture over the rice, add crispy onions, drizzle spicy mayo, layer on the avocado. And you’re done.
Pro Prep Tips:
- Super-fresh fish is a must. You can buy fish by the pound from Da Kine Winter Park or check out your local fish market like Lombardi’s or Lighthouse.
- To make perfect sushi rice simply rinse rice until water runs clear, and cook it off according to the instructions on the package. Cool to room temperature, add rice wine vinegar, a bit of salt and sugar, then hold it at room temp and top with furikake which you can get at any Asian market. It’s a good idea to make at least an hour before serving to allow the rice to rest and cool off.
- For Instagram-worthy plating, simply put your sauces into squeeze bottles for the perfect drizzle.
- For a faster and more low carb option, substitute your favorite greens for the rice.
Da Kine Locations
- The Meat House at 669 N. Orange Ave. Winter Park, FL 32789.
- Market on Magnolia at 150 S Magnolia Ave, Orlando, FL 32801
- Tuffy’s Bottle Shop at 200 Myrtle Ave, Sanford, FL 32771
- New Smyrna Beach at 216 Flagler Ave., New Smyrna, FL 32169