This is our latest rundown of the top ten things you need to know this week, in Orlando’s downtown “bungalow neighborhoods.”
Click HERE to listen to Episode 351 of “Bungalower and The Bus” on Real Radio 104.1, which was recorded at Brother Jimmy’s BBQ at ICON Park, where kids can eat for free.
*Some posts that link to third-party websites will have a paywall.
TOP TEN HEADLINES
- The OnePulse Foundation has given up on its long-awaited museum project.
- Beloved historic ice cream shop, Goff’s Ice Cream, has new owners that have reopened it under a new name.
- A section of Orange Avenue in Ivanhoe Village has finally reopened to traffic, giving hope to a number of embattled local businesses that saw business dip dramatically during the closure.
- Corrine Drive has a semi-permanent bike lane as part of an ongoing pilot project by City Hall. Have you ridden on it yet? A more permanent solution will roll out as the corridor receives Complete Street treatment in the coming years.
- Park Ave CDs is expanding into the former Junior’s Diner space in Audubon Park.
- The editor-in-chief of Orlando Business Journal is heading to Houston.
- Jeni’s Ice Cream is hosting a grand opening event this Thursday at their new Winter Park Village location.
- “Downtown Orlando venues known for nightlife soon to get daytime business.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Former NBA star Grant Hill and singer Tamia Hill join Orlando City Soccer, Pride ownership group.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Local and state leaders in Orange County call for audit of onePulse Foundation.” – Orlando Sentinel
ICYMI – (IN CASE YOU MISSED IT)
- “City adopts new Flood Management Guide.” – The32789
- “Butterfly-adorned office building razed and prepped for possible development.” – Bungalower
- “8 students ‘whipped’ during class at Orlando prep school, parents claim.” – Click Orlando
- “Downtown Orlando building in heart of popular entertainment district sold by law firm.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Downtown Orlando’s University Club property to get new life as Eola View events concept.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “Orlando snags bulk of Southwest Airlines international flights away from Fort Lauderdale.” – Orlando Business Journal
- “The 2023 Dining Awards.” – Orlando Magazine
- “Mid Drive Dive, new concept from two East End Market vets, coming to College Park.” – Orlando Sentinel
- “Neil Gaiman and Art Spiegelman event is sold out — good job, Orlando.” – Orlando Weekly
- “Orlando restaurant fighting drag ban argues for continued block on DeSantis’ ‘Protection of Children Act.'” – Orlando Weekly
- “Ginger Minj dives into memories and recipes in new book.” – Watermark
- “Bungalower Editor in Chief Brendan O’Connor stars as guest judge on “Blind Kitchen Orlando.”’ – WESH 2
- “House of the Day: Four-bedroom College Park pool home asking $1,325,000.”
- “House of the Day: 3/3 LLake Davis pool home asking $719,000.”
- “American neighborhoods are in trouble.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “Americans are walking 36% less since COVID.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “In Montana, a town tries to get bear smart.” – Bloomberg CityLab
- “How Halifax built the most vibrant waterfront in Canada: Decades of small changes.” – Happy Cities
- “Ode to the monobloc chair.” – Messy Nessy Chic
- “Baltimore buried these streams. Now an artist is bringing one back.” – Next City
- “A bench on every corner … but not just any bench.” – Social Life Project
HOT EVENTS THIS WEEK
- Monday 11/6: Neil Gaiman in Conversation with Art Spiegelman (Downtown)
- Tuesday 11/7: Parking Lot Sandwich Party (Ivanhoe Village)
- Tuesday 11/7: Pilobolus re:CREATION Tour (Downtown)
- Wednesday 11/8: Domu 7th Anniversary Wine Down (Audubon Park)
- Thursday 11/9: Enrique Iglesias, Pitbull, Ricky Martin (Parramore)
- Thursday 11/9: Jeni’s Ice Cream Winter Park Grand Opening (Winter Park)
- Friday 11/10: EDC Orlando 2023 (West Lakes)
- Friday 11/10: GROWvember Fall Plant Sale (Winter Park)